Starting T4learning mid year with other curriculum
    KimZ is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Starting T4learning mid year with other curriculum

We are just going to begin T4learning in January. This my first year homeschooling my 2nd and 3rd grader and we have been using Saxon Math and Abeka language arts since the beginning of the year. We will start the science and social studies on T4learning. I don't want to over do it in the LA and Math department, so I was looking for suggestions as how to implement T4 learning without burning them out. They seem to enjoy the LA on T4 learning that we have tried to far. We plan to school through June and take the month of July off for summer break. Also, is spelling addressed? Rules, etc? What about how to write (i.e., are they taught what to include in a paragraph)? Thanks.
    Kim

mom2zct is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Starting T4learning mid year with other curriculum

Just a quick note to say hi and that I'm sure the other more experienced ladies will get back with you in no time.
    I'm also starting t4l in January but this is my fourth year homeschooling and second time using t4l. My boys are 9 & 11 but were about your boys' ages when we used t4l before. They loved it and the only reason we switched to something else was a computer/internet dilemma and my younger son had some reading comprehension problems bringing him to a halt. I think the LA is very thorough and there is spelling in it too. I think it's in the LA extensions along with vocabulary and such. You can go to the lesson plans once you log in as a parent and find exactly where the spelling is and what you might want to use along with there math too. That's about as much help as I can be for the moment. I wish you the best of luck in your homeschooling adventure and remember to breathe.

Megan

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

math is easily distinguishable by topic (symmetry, time, multiplication, etc) so to use it as a supplement is quite easy. la tells exactly what letter groups/grammar rules are being covered, so that shouldn't be a problem for either. la extensions at that age is fun because they learn about really interesting topics. hth! welcome to the group
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Some people use another math curriculum and choose the more game-like activities on Time4Learning as a fun supplement.

Spelling lessons are offered beginning in fourth grade.

There is a lot of writing practice! Until third grade, it is practice without a lot of instruction, but that's how kids start! Story Creator allows kindergarten, first, and second graders to move pictures around a screen to make a scene, and then write a few words or a sentence or two about their picture. Halfway through third grade, students begin to get Odyssey Writer assignments.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

momoftwob is offline Junior Member

I have also found that taking one section at a time works best. For spelling before fourth grade you can try spelling city, or super teacher worksheets for some extra practice.

Lisa's7 is offline Member

We use a mishmash of things but I have found T4L to be great for filling in, adding interest or helping when mommy has something else to do/sick/stressed. The stories and activities are worth it I think just for 'fun'. Also, don't discount things because it's "below" grade level. My 3rd grader still enjoys the lower grade science, social studies and stories from LA.

KimZ is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks for everyone's input. Will the star on the lesson activity spin only when an activity is completed? Also, I noticed my daughter decided that she didn't want to take a quiz and the arrow went to the next lesson without her completing it. If I didn't observed this, I wouldn't have known that she needed to take that quiz. When I looked at the report, I didn't notice anything that would informed me of this. My concern is that she works pretty quickly and does more than I assign and I can't track what she has done and whether she is "getting" it or not. Also, on the report, can I assume that when the status page is not filled in, it was not completed? I don't want to have to be over their shoulder (neither do they ). I also remember someone saying you could tell how long they worked on a lesson. On the report I only saw one time (the time they started). Thanks for any input!!

Kim