still trying to learn the ropes here...
    LaurieK is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default still trying to learn the ropes here...

hello all. I am LaurieK, mom to six blessings. Currently I am hsing my son, Lee who is in 4th grade and pretty much on grade level. He's smart but fights me so much on schooling that I feel sad that our journey is plagued with such stress and strife. I pulled him out of school last January and we basically unschooled and I worked on short successes with him. He hasn't been officially diagnosed with any LD but has "impulse behavior" tendencies(that's my slant) school kind of inferred adhd. I might buy into add, but he's kind of a couch potato and not really hyper. He's more like Opey from the Andy Griffith show-those that remember-.

I was in the process of trying to get him evaluated as the school was pushing for that. I hit a brick wall with his teacher last year and felt like I was losing my boy to anger and frustration. He was referring to himself as a troublemaker, the bad kid, etc.

My hsing background is that I've been homeschooling for approx 10 years. My first 2 girls are now in school as we've found acceptable situations for them. I am persevering with my son and it's been rough. I really try and work with his learing styles. I do have 3 toddlers at home that make it challenging. Twin 2 year olds and a prek 4. They are darling but like tornado twisters. I find myself almost yelling so much dealing with my ds because of the noise level of my house. I do not like this and I have my good days(rare) and my tough days.

I found T4L and have had him try it out for a few weeks now but still so much resistance.

I have read through the archives and gleaned some help there but I'm still trying to figure out a routine for him/us. I have our computer in a central area so I can see what he's working on. mainly the language arts. I am kind of available to help but I can't sit by him the whole time. I want to start to add somemore but would like some suggestions on how others go about their routine for this age group(10 year old).

I am leaning towards 1/2 hour on 4 subjects this week to see how it goes. I was also wondering if anyone could share how they supplemented the social studies. I saw and have been reading truthquest reviews. Not ready to add that yet but considering it.

My son goes to an enrichment class once a week for science and creative writing. He has some assigments for this but not too much. I have been using SOS for math and it's "OK". If we switch over to T4L could he take some quizzes to see if he can skip some lessons?

I am really in need of encouragement here. I keep reading all the wonderful posts and I want to be one of the ones sharing how I turned the corner with my son. He's actually asking to go back to school which breaks my heart. But I am not a happy camper with him a lot of the time so I understand why. Oh how I am praying that we can have T4L get us on the right track of positive learning. My son just tries to negotiate every sentence out of my mouth. I am not one to cave so I don't understand where this comes from. I spend so much energy holding my ground that I don't have much positive energy for anyone else after a few hours. When he was in school this is how every day was after school. At least now it's over with by noon. And did I mention I work full time. I went to 3-11pm so that I could get our hs routine on a semi-structured path, but hasn't happened yet. Please pray for my son and I. I really want him to succeed with hsing so if he does go back to school it won't be because I couldn't take it any more. Rather my husband and I are comfortable with the progress he's made and we feel he's ready.

Trying to get the twinkle back in my son's eyes,
    LaurieK

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Laurie. We're glad to have you with us, and looking forward to seeing you post that your son's eyes are twinkling once again.

I'm sure others will be along to offer encouragement.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

mississippimom is offline Junior Member Newbie

WOW!

And you work full-time? Bless your heart! I will definitely keep you in my prayers. I only have about a month and a half of T4L experience, but I'm responding to this post because my 8yr old son sounds a lot like your 10yr old. Of course, I don't have the 3 underneath him in age, only a 9yr old girl. But my son was having behavior problems in school also and everyday we only lasted about 10 min after school before he and I would get into it and I was miserable the rest of the evening. My decision to leave a full-time nursing career was based on this activity. My family thinks I'm crazy, btw. I finally came to the realization that my son was missing something from me, whether it was one on one time or constant supervision I'm still not sure. He always wants to do what 'big sis' does so when I decided to homeschool, he really fell for the idea. Now, don't get me wrong, our problems are far from over. He still hates to read anything, although he is a good reader. Actually, he is on a 4th grade level. But he will fight me tooth and nail if there is something he doesn't want to do. He's very, hmmm, moody. I have finally put the computer in his room and actually teach them at the same time as they are on the same subjects. I have to stay with them though. I hope to get them to a point where I can go do something else.
    I use T4L for my core subjects and supplement with ABEKA cursive writing(because this is his first year with cursive), ABEKA readers, and art and piano lessons away from home. My main goal for my son is to keep him busy. I plan to alternate his activities with things he likes and give him goals to attain. No tv until lessons done. No gamecube until piano practiced, etc. It's still a work in progress, but I feel much better and he seems to be coming around. Not everything works but I intend to keep trying.
    Just don't give up. Remember that ultimately you are doing this because you love him and want the best for him. You'll get there!

Best of luck,
    Staci

DWest is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi, I have been reading your post here. I can fully understand what you are going through. I have a just turned 5 yesterday girl, a 6 year old boy, a 13 year old girl in public school, and a 15 year old boy. I currently am trying my best to homeschool all except my 13 year old in school. Frankly, I hate our public schools where we live. They label kids with ADHD, LD... and just don't care about whether they fall thru the cracks. Anyway, I have been homeschooling my others going on our third year. The kaos in the house is horrible, so I understand what you are getting at there. Our 15 year old was labeled ADHD, and no matter what I have tried, it is very hard to keep them focused on what to learn. The fact is that they just do not want to do it. I have just started T4L these past couple of weeks. I started my son with math & LA: Mon, Wed, Fri. Then he does SS on Tues, Sci on Thurs. My son hates to write, hates math... We are trying to get a routine going. I have not quite worked it all out, but so far the only problem I have with working with T4L is that my son will try to fly through the "lessons" try to take the quizzes and fail. Then he has to keep going over the lessons... I tell him he must master each lesson before he will be allowed to move to the next. I have told him to slow down, and learn the work before moving on but I think you probably know how that goes. So he repeats again and again and again. This takes up time, but I hope eventually he will understand the slow down process. As long as he masters the concept, he can go back over it as many times as he wants. Currently I am using Lifepac curriculum for my younger ones, but want to put them on T4L too, just cannot afford to right now. My patience gets wore thin every day, and every day I feel like giving up. I even say I am giving up sometimes, but I know I cannot. Our daughter who is in ps is failing all her subjects. She does not want to be homeschooled. I think she has a LD, she is very slow to learn. But I just cannot seem to get her to care about her work. I get so frustrated with the school. She does not even know what is going on. She misses assignments, fails quizzes, doesn't do projects..., Just this Monday I told her she is on her own. I have done everything I know to do and she refuses to put any effort into it. We are probably going to pull her out of school again whether she likes it or not. Why let her sit there in ps when she will not nor care to do anything. Anyway, I am rambling on. Sorry. Try to move the lessons around and see what fits. Right now I am still testing the waters too.