Suggestions for improving T4L?
    reb621 is offline Member

Default Suggestions for improving T4L?

I wasn't sure where to put this (please move to a more appropriate place if there is one), but the moderators have asked for ideas in the past, and these are a few that have bugged me since we began (Feb. 2011). I wish we could:

1. Have a setting where parents can select whether we want to "force" kids to do assignments in order vs. being able to skip around.... I realize many parents like that their kids can jump around (to avoid boredom), but mine are so far behind and they're missing building blocks that they should have gotten in public school. My oldest will take the time to click each lesson link until she finds one WITHOUT a quiz because she knows she'll have to redo the lesson if she doesn't pass it. I'd prefer (and have told them over and over) that they go in order and lay the foundation in each subject, doing the lesson that the arrow is pointing to each day. (Starting today they'll begin losing privileges/electronic fun time when they skip around to try to avoid the more difficult lessons/quizzes/tests!)...But having a setting that would grey out/make inaccessible those later lessons would make it so much easier.

2. I'd also like it if such a setting would force the child to take the chapter tests before moving on! (The same child who avoids quizzes avoids the chapter tests as well so that I don't realize this until I'm reviewing her score reports and checking off work that has been completed.) But again, not all families even use these tests, so this could be a setting each family chooses.

3. Allowing parents to print grade/score reports by GRADE LEVEL rather than just date range. (Right now I have to select a generic subject within a specified time period. I'd prefer to just select a subject and grade level and print everything my child has done for that grade level. I have to enter the date range my child was likely to have worked at a particular grade level, and that's kind of a pain, especially since they jump around.) Printing by grade level would make it much easier to compare to our state's standards (or the Worldbook standards list by grade) so that I can quickly see which content areas they're missing and fill in those gaps with other resources if needed.

4. Add more science and social studies lessons for the older grades (5-8, mainly). If Compass Learning is used in public schools, wouldn't they have access to more of these lessons? So then what's keeping us from getting them?

5. And most importantly, will we ever get access to the high school grades? (If not, why not?) This has been an awesome curriculum for my visual/aural learners, but my 8th grader will soon have to leave it and I haven't found a comparable, affordable curriculum.

Thanks for passing these ideas on to the Powers that be! ;-)

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi!

Thank you for the suggestions. Time4Learning appreciates user feedback, and many positive changes have been made based on it.

Time4Learning leases curriculum developed by Compass Learning. Because Time4Learning isn't the developer of the curriculum, there are limits to what they can change themselves. Feedback is shared with the developer.

Time4Learning continues to explore options for providing a high school program. Meanwhile, users are encouraged to visit Let's Homeschool High School for advice and support in planning a high school program.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Aubry is offline Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    Hi!

Thank you for the suggestions. Time4Learning appreciates user feedback, and many positive changes have been made based on it.

Time4Learning leases curriculum developed by Compass Learning. Because Time4Learning isn't the developer of the curriculum, there are limits to what they can change themselves. Feedback is shared with the developer.

Time4Learning continues to explore options for providing a high school program. Meanwhile, users are encouraged to visit Let's Homeschool High School for advice and support in planning a high school program.
    Don't get me wrong, I really like Time 4 Learning. We have used it off and on for years. But they have been saying they are working on high school ever since we started, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it. It is a great program for younger kids, but I doubt high school will ever happen.

Pashta is offline Junior Member

I would also like to see a way to have assignments, like Spelling City does.

The spelling list are good, however there are no activities for the children to do. A program like Spelling City would be great to see.