Is T4L advanced compared to P.S.?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Melissa-N-IA is offline Junior Member

Default Is T4L advanced compared to P.S.?

After a week of struggling to help my 10 year old daughter understand math I have decided to put her back a grade level in that subject. She has been homeschooling for only 2 weeks and had alot of trouble with math in P.S. so I dont know why I assumed she should be at grade level with T4L. My 7th grade son is in P.S. and learning the same thing in math as my 5th grade daughter was with T4L and I am wandering if T4L is advanced as far as what they are teaching in the P.S.? We looked over the 4th grade material for math and she is much more comfortable with it because thats what she was doing in P.S. I feel so much better and lookin forward to starting Monday with our new math.

Melissa

aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Is T4L advanced compared to P.S.?

I know that T4L is comparable to Federal Guidelines for each grade because I bought the book, what your child should know by the end of 6th grade last year and it was right on target.

As for being advanced, I have been on both sides of that. My older son started last year in 6th grade and PS was WAY to advanced in middle school from the Math he had in 5th grade. He was lost and confused. We started homeschooling and T4L 6th grade math was perfect. He was comfortable with it and was able to progress and learn.
    My other son, the gifted Math child started 5th grade T4L last year when we pulled him from 5th grade and I thought he would be bored but was SHOCKED on how little he knew. He actually learned most of the 5th grade Math from T4L which makes me wonder WHAT they were teaching in his PS 5th grade and how far behind were they! YIKES

If she is more comfortable in 4th grade math, then I would do it. It is always good to have a good base for Math before you move on. Each grade seems to take the info from the grade before and expand on it slightly which I love!
    We have done 5th grade and 6th grade Math and are on 6th and 7th grades this year.

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

i hate to stand here and totally trash my state, because i love living in florida ... but there's a reason why we're like 48th or 49th in the country ... t4l is WAY ahead on grade level compared to what they're doing in public school. at least teh ones around here.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Momma Crystal is offline Senior Member

I find what schools expect varies WILDLY school district to school district. In my own state a child can be performing according to expectations in one district and then move to another and be so far behind they are referred for special education.

So.. there is no easy answer to the question. I say, don't worry about it. Just plug along at the level your child is at and all will come together in the end.

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

It is set to national standards BUT the style of teaching on T4L is different than it is in a lot of PS's. Soem schools teach a concept (esp in math) as a block they cover once, then are done with. T4L reintroduces topics each level, building on them over time. In my opinion, that is a much better way to insure retention and understanding, but the downfall is that there may be big "holes" your child has because the concept she's having trouble with hasn't been introduced in her PS class, or was worked onlong ago and she either forgot it or never understood it in the first place. Moving around in levels is perfectly okay. You're here to teach your children, not to force them into little learning niches. So do what you feel is best, because you're the mom and you know what they need.
    Melissa.

Yca
    Blog Entries

wait ... we're NOT supposed to pigeon hole our kids??? uhoh
    ~ Yca ~

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3

Yeah, Jess, you sure missed the bus on that one. Mwoohahaha
    Melissa.

Yca
    Blog Entries

-snort- i didn't realize there even WAS a bus -smacks forehead-
    ~ Yca ~

I have no comments that wouldn't be misinterpreted by innocent bystanders. Sorry for hijacking your post!
    Melissa.

adria2328 is offline Senior Member

My DD11 is in 6th grade and working on Level 4 Math *still. She has a hard time in math and I left her behind to make up what the PS didn't teach her. She is on Level 5 for everything else. When I pulled her 11/08 and we reviewed what she was doing in PS to what T4L taught, T4L levels were one ahead. I try very very hard to not think of them as grades but as levels. As hard as that may be. lol
    Adria
    Mommy of 4
    Bryanna 13
    Ralphy 7
    Coleman 5
    GraceAnn 3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast