T4L Algebra question - 6th, 7th & 8th Grade Math Curriculum first?
    keithmarty is offline Junior Member

Question T4L Algebra question - 6th, 7th & 8th Grade Math Curriculum first?

My son is quickly moving through the 5th Grade Math Curriculum. (We skip a lot of the activities and go directly to the quizzes.) I see that Algebra is available for 6th-8th grade. My question is...should a student generally work completely through the grade level math curriculum (6th, 7th, & 8th) before taking the Algebra offered through T4L?

When looking at the lesson plans, it just seems like there is a lot of review from year to year. I assume that each year it goes more in-depth. (This is only my 2nd year to homeschool and I do not have a teaching background.) My son just gets very bored and frustrated when reviewing topics he has already learned, but I don't want him to miss anything vital to understanding higher math. One of the things that frustrated him in public school was how the teachers needed to teach several ways to do things. Once my son learns it one way, any other way is WRONG to him. (He has Autism...very literal...black & white thinking...highly intelligent!!) Also, since the use of a calculator was part of his IEP in school, I have continued this at home. (Plus, since most everyone depends on calculators in real life, I think he should be able to as well once he understands the basics, etc.)

Any thoughts and/or advice would be appreciated...Thanks, Marty (mom in TN)

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't jump from grade 5 to pre-algebra at all. There is too much material your son most likely needs to cover before trying pre-algebra and algebra. If he feels he knows the material, then have him take the quizzes and tests in grade 6. If he does well without doing the lesson, then great. If he fails the quizzes and tests, he needs to go back and do the lessons. I would continue this way with the next grade if he passes the quizzes and tests in grade 6, move on to grade 7 and so forth.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

The math, while covering the same basic concepts, gets more challenging each year. I would at least make sure your child can do well on the eighth grade math tests before going on to algebra. The algebra is very easy during the first few lessons, but quickly becomes more difficult.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

keithmarty is offline Junior Member

Thank you both for the advice! It is exactly what I needed to know...Marty