T4L Virtual Tutors??
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: T4L Virtual Tutors??

AboundingAcres is offline Junior Member

Default T4L Virtual Tutors??

Has T4L considered having virtual tutors who can help students who are struggling in certain areas? I like the idea of a virtual tutor... using video calls and a virtual dry erase board to help the students. I think it would be helpful for such a vitual tutor to have access to the T4L curriculum so that he/she could see what the kids are learning. I also like the idea of small group, virtual classroom tutoring sessions. I think my 14 year old son would benefit from working collaboratively with other students in that type of setting. I also think it would help my 6 1/2 year old daughter who is struggling with reading fluency, to read to a teacher via a video call. I think she would enjoy that. My 9 and 11 year old daughters and son could benefit from a study session before a chapter test. (We are trying to teach study skills.) Just some ideas. We have been homeschooling for 5 years, using T4L for a year now.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I will pass your suggestion on. My own first thought is that such a service would be expensive, since it would have to cost enough to pay the tutor's hourly wage, Time4Learning's administrative costs, and allow for a small profit. Hmm. Interesting! As I said, I will pass the suggestion along.

If you are interested in a writing curriculum that provides personal feedback on your student's assignments, you might want to check in to Time4Writing.
    lovehmschlg likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

AboundingAcres, virtual tutors would be great, but I agree with Kelly that it would probably be an expensive service. I like that T4L is so affordable. But maybe to offer it with an additional fee. We have a tutor for math and she charges $45/hour (I get a discount because she's my friend, so it's a little less).

Do you know of Time4Friends for your teenager? It's an online social community for Time4Learning high school students, age 13 and over! It's not tutoring, but he could talk to other students about the lessons. Just a thought.
    Parents must give permission for students to access Time4Friends. Log in to your parent account, click on the Student Records tab, and select Update Time4Friends Settings. Your student may then access the community by clicking on the Time4Friends tab after logging in to their lesson account.

And for your daughter who's struggling with reading fluency....my daughter Skypes with her cousins and they read to each other. One of her cousins is 4 years old and she loves listening to her read to her.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

AboundingAcres is offline Junior Member

Yes, I would definitely suggest making the service optional and for a separate fee. Interested parents should have to pay for the tutoring, not raise the cost of T4L for everyone!

As for Time4Friends, my understanding was that the student has to be 13 AND be enrolled in at least one high school level course. My son is not yet enrolled in a high school level course. Can I sign him up for T4F anyway??

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Currently, students do need to be "in high school" to join Time4Friends. The definition of "in high school", according to Time4Learning, is "taking at least one high school course". Time4Friends is something for him to look forward to!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!