Taking Notes

Thread: Taking Notes

CountryMama is offline Junior Member

Default Taking Notes

I have read in several places that parents have their children take notes to help them retain the info and also help with tests. Any one have any pointers for how to teach a third and fourth grader take good notes? Thanks! Beth

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Explain that they are looking for the IMPORTANT points, and tell them to avoid simply re-writing the passage. Explain that words in bold or set apart in a box are usually important. Explain that the first or last sentence in a paragraph often summarizes what was said.

Then, just let them have at it. As they use their notes, they will notice things they "wish they had written" and will get better and better with practice.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

CountryMama is offline Junior Member

Thank you very much, That helps a lot.

jocelpea is offline Junior Member Newbie

Taking notes is very important in schooling perhaps those identify the keywords or rootwords which teacher applies in the examination. My son is a 7 year old boy and i am telling that he always jot down the important notes.

dolphin fact

Conversion Optimization

jtt
    jtt is offline Junior Member

It's mostly science and social studies that mine needs to have a notebook for. It's been challenging to get them to focus on the important points and taking the right amount of notes (not too much or too little). For us, it took some effort on to get them in the good habits, such as when they are done with their lessons, revieiwing their notes and comparing it to what is in the actual lesson. We then provide suggestions on what are key points and defintions, dates, etc. Since there's no "blackboard" where they can just write down whatever a teacher does, it seems to require this sort of organizing earlier than they might need in a classroom. I think in the long run it will be more beneficial, and once they are in the good habit (which may take a while and lots of feedback) they'll be able to apply it on their own for years to come (hopefully!)

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

The language arts lessons teach summarizing, main idea, etc. You can also point out that those language arts skills are important when taking notes.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!