Thank You and Question about ILA
    DreamSinger is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Thank You and Question about ILA

Hi, I have a beautiful visual spatial child and we just started using T4L again after giving it a short try last year. I was trying out a number of things...including charter school for a couple months. Now I'm wishing I had just stuck with T4L.

Anyway, want to say my daughter loves this program! In just the few days we've worked with it, I have noticed a huge difference in her attitude and enthusiasm for what she's doing. I'm using it to supplement our material, and it's working wonders. Nothing like waking up in the morning and hearing, "Can I do a lesson?" before she's even eaten breakfast.

Anyway, I do have a question about the ILA. Are they to be used in conjunction with the lessons...do they correspond with the phonics/fluencey? Or are they to be done after all the lessons are completed?

Again, thank you for this valuable tool. It's doing wonders for her confidence and her perception of herself as a student, and for that I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am.

Demian,
    ~DreamSinger
    ¸..·*´¨¨~-:¦:-
    ¸.·´ ..·´¨¨)) Demian,
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ *-:¦:- DreamSinger -:¦:-
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* Keeping the Dream

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

The program is designed to be completed in sequence, which means your student would do the Integrated Language Arts lessons near the end of the level. The ILA lessons integrate the review of older concepts and the introduction of some new concepts within the context of a piece of literature. Having the story as a point of reference really aids in retention for most students.

If you are accustomed to a curriculum which provides spiral review, such as A Beka, you have been seeing your student work on "a little of this and a little of that" on a daily basis. At least one of my children found that confusing. Time4Learning is based on mastery (comparable to a curriculum like Alpha-Omega Lifepacs or PACES). Your student practices one concept until mastery is demonstrated and then moves on to another concept. Review is provided the following school year, on a higher level (or sometimes later in the same level).

BUT . . . do keep in mind that you may use the curriculum in any way that suits your student! Although it is common for a language textbook to focus on grammar one term, writing the next, and literature the following term, many parents seem more comfortable when their students do a little of each every day. Me . . . I do it the easy way.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

DreamSinger is offline Junior Member Newbie

Okay, so does this mean after Phonics, Fluency, Comp 9, you're to do the ILA? Or if you're following it sequentially through the arrow, will it take you automatically to the appropriate ILA when it's time?

We started with Chapter 1 - skipping lesson 1 and going straight to lesson 2 and have been following it sequentially since. She's now on Chapter 2. I like the mastery approach. Spiral review does not work as well with my daughter. Block scheduling works best.

We're skipping around for the other subjects to supplement what she's doing with our home materials. That's working out really well. But I do want to go sequentially with the LA. I just want to use the ILA's when they will be most helpful.

Thanks for the response.
    ¸..·*´¨¨~-:¦:-
    ¸.·´ ..·´¨¨)) Demian,
    ((¸¸.·´ ..·´ *-:¦:- DreamSinger -:¦:-
    -:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* Keeping the Dream

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

If you are doing the language arts sequentially, the arrow will point you to the ILAs at the appropriate time.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

ergon4 is offline Member Regular

Default RE: ILA

We've got one of those terrific visual spatial learners too! Congrats! Have you ever checked out the book "Right Brained child in a Left Brained World" by Jeffrey Freed? It's terrific! As far as the ILA question, we actually don't do it sequentially, we toggle back and forth. One day on regular LA lessons, the next on ILA, the next on LAextensions, etc. Just provides a little more variety to our week, I think, but that's just my opinion.

Kerry
    Raising homegrown geeks...one laptop at a time. Check out my Topsy-Techie blog at http://topsytechie.wordpress.com/