Timing

Thread: Timing

amberwing223 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Timing

I'm trying to come up with a rough daily schedule and this is our first year using time4learning. I have one entering K and one entering 1st. About how much time will they each spend daily going through the lessons here? Thank you for any estimations you can pass along!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! Kindergarten children should be spending very little time on the computer. The online lessons will last an hour or less. You will probably want to add some penmanship, arts and crafts, and reading aloud together for pleasure. Other things commonly added to round out a kindergarten program are sports/dance/active play and music (which, at this age, can mean shaking a tambourine while playing a CD or watching a music DVD).

A first grader will spend a little more time, but remember that you don't spend as much time "doing school" at home as they do in traditional schools. This is because you don't have to take time to take role call, waiting to used shared equipment, waiting for other students to finish their work, attending assemblies, and so forth. In addition to the additions mentioned for a kindergartner, above, a first grader should have plenty of time to read aloud to you, to develop reading skills. At first, this might mean you reading a book to your student, and stopping when you reach a word you think he can read, so he can read it to you.

The way I have dealt with my kids finishing school before their friends is to only allow specific activities during traditional "school" hours. That way, they don't rush through their school work so they can get to the TV! I don't allow TV, video games, or computer games (except the ones I select) until 4:00. I do encourage art projects, collections, free play (like sandbox, playing house, playing dress-up, playing cars), creative play (blocks, playdough, Legos), etc.

Here's a great place to find some really worthwhile educational computer games.

I have kids from PreK/K through a freshman in high school (and three who have graduated). We still are finished with our school work, for the most part, before lunch.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!