Tomorrow starts week 3
    Victoria is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Tomorrow starts week 3

Hello,

I haven't frequented this board often enough to know anyone yet, but I thought I'd give a brief update anyway.

I am Victoria. I home school my son, Koby. He is eleven and in the sixth grade. He is not gifted nor does he seem to have a learning disability. He does, however, have a motivational issue when it comes to his lessons.

We have completed two weeks of lessons and so far I am very pleased. We are using brainpop along with the assignments here and find that the two programs compliment one another very well.

I really like the record keeping and automated scoring of lessons and tests - whew! What a help!!

I hope to get to know a few of you better in the weeks to come.

Take care,
    Victoria

PaulaInNoVA is offline Member

Hi Victoria,

I have a 12 yo son I'm homeschooling. Have you always hs'ed Koby? I'm wondering because before I started hs'ing my son (just started this past October) I also thought he had motivational issues. However, he has been very cooperative since being home. He also enjoys T4L, so it's not much of a problem to get him to do his work. I also found out that part of his motivational issues were not that he wasn't motivated, but that he was bored in class! His teachers showed me his papers...artwork covered all the white spaces. He never "showed his work." Stuff like that. Well, when a child "gets it," why should he have to do 50-100 additional problems, step by boring step, over the next 3-4 days?

Anyway, welcome! (I've not used brainpop, I'll have to give it a look.)

=Paula

Victoria is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi!

I started homeschooling Koby after Kindergarten. He definitely has difficulty staying focused on his lessons. All things considered though I suppose he does fine. He is the last of five children. He has two adult siblings and a 16 year old brother living at home with him. They and his father are all self employed. We also live next door to his grandparents who are retired. So, there is always something more exciting than school work to do. He likes to work in my father's shop and his older brothers are constantly stealing him to go fishing. Our house is usually a very busy place. I'm sure it will all work out in the end.

Today completed his third week with T4L and I must say, it is much easier to keep him on task with this program. I have also noticed that my stress level is declining - that's a good thing.

It sounds like you are enjoying your decision to homeschool, was it a difficult choice to make for you? I was scared silly when I first took my children out of school.

I'm happy to meet you,
    Victoria