Is it too good to be true?
    bennifer is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Is it too good to be true?

Ok, so we have been using T4L for a few months now with my ds11 whom we took out of ps in October. He's really enjoyed it. Then we took our ds7 out of ps after the winter break.( we were going to wait till the end of the year, but couldn't quite figure out what we were waiting for!LOL) MY ds7 LOVES T4L! He gets a kick when the characters tell him how wonderful he did. typical
    Please, someone who has used t4l for a while, tell me that it's enough. It is wonderful, but is it too good to be true?! Can my kids be learning enough? You mean all I need to do is:
    1. Use t4l as our core
    2. add handwriting
    3.add Bible study and
    4. supplement with math as needed

and my boys will be ok? T4l has simplified things so much for me. As a new hser, my head has been spinning with all the different options. It has really allowed me to relax.
    thank in advance
    Jennifer in VA

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Jennifer, that is certainly "enough".

To nudge "enough" closer to "optimal", you might want to consider requiring your kids to write a daily journal entry and, if they aren't enthusiastic readers, require 1/2 to 1 hour of free reading per day (material of their choice). Add electives as desired, such as music or foreign language.

Many new homeschoolers are surprised at how little time it takes. A lot of time is wasted on "crowd control" in a group school situation, whether public school, private school, or even Sunday School. Homeschooling is very efficient.

With Time4Learning, you save a lot of time on lesson planning and grading, too.

It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into planning your kids' educational program. They should be just fine!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

bennifer is offline Junior Member Newbie

We do journal everyday. I give them a topic everyday. They both read everyday. Ds11 is taking piano lessons and ds 7 is taking swimming lessons. Of course we now have lots more time to go to the park and ride bikes and lots of Wii sports too. Oh and we also do spelling everyday too, although Im not sure how long that will last. My ds7 was so upset that he didnt get an A+! We dont do grades for that very reason. The point is to learn, not be compared to anyone else, or judged. Thanks for the reply Kelly

sisymay is offline Member

I'm not sure what you consider is 'enough'. Each parent sees this differently. Of course, you have to also follow your state homeschool laws about what they consider is 'enough'.
    Some states don't have laws about 'what' to teach.
    I have heard some people suggest going to your state dept of education website and look for the 'standards' for your childs grade. This will list everything that public schools are to teach for each grade and in each subject.
    What you might want to do is use that list and compare it to the scope and sequence list here at T4L.
    I personally have not done that but it could give you an idea of what is taught here v/s what is taught at public school.

I'm not sure if that is what you mean by 'enough' LOL

And Kelly is so right about saving time from planning and grading. Since I can't afford to buy already planned out curiculum, MOST of my time was spent looking over things, internet sites, etc just trying to FIND something to do for school.

I am SO glad I found T4L! It is so affordable even for me LOL and it saves SO much time!

Oh yea, about the actual school day not being so long. In my state GA the homeschool law states we have to do school for 4 1/2 hrs a day for 180 days a year.
    No one has to check to see if we are actually doing this, though. You can break up the time, doing an hour here and there, skip days or whatever.
    I know since no one in our state has to 'check up' on this, I'm not sure what other parents do.
    But in my case, I'm a 'by the book' person most times. So I am very careful to keep up with us getting the 4 1/2 hrs a day for 180 days.

I'm not sure how it is in other states about hours, days, time, etc. or if the 'authorities' keep up with it.

We do other things besides T4L like mathusee, sequential spelling and wordly wise.
    And I had to buy all those 'used' LOL.