Vocabulary dictionary template
    PaulaW is offline Junior Member

Default Vocabulary dictionary template

We just started using T4L this week. Today it says to get five copies of the "vocabulary dictionary template". I found the template but am unsure what to do with it. It will only save as a PDF file and does not let her type in it. Does it want me to print it out five times? Which I can't because I am out of ink. Please help! Thank you.

Paula

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

The pdf files are meant to be printed. Can she look at it to get the general idea, and just do the actual writing on notebook paper?

There are printable activities in Time4Learning, so you will probably want to have printer ink on hand.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

messiemom is offline Junior Member

So why doesn't it simply say, "PRINT 5 copies of the Vocabulary-Dictionary template listed below"? Instead, it makes it sound like there is some kind of icon we have to click called "Vocabulary-Dictionary" (after we wasted 30" of searching, we discovered it doesn't exist), and that we had to 'GET' five copies of the words. This makes it sound like we needed to save 5 copies onto the program somehow. The verb "PRINT" is not vague. The instructions are vague and can be interpreted incorrectly. Is there any way to change this?

Blog Entries

Can you give me the lesson activity number that has this? I'd like to look at it before reporting it to the developer, so I can be very specific. Thank you!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

JShields is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Vocabulary dictionary template

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    Can you give me the lesson activity number that has this? I'd like to look at it before reporting it to the developer, so I can be very specific. Thank you!
    I have spent 45 minutes trying to fugure this out too. The activity number is E2112

Blog Entries

Thank you for the lesson activity number!

Those are intended to be printed and filled out with a pencil. They are used throughout the language arts curriculum. I printed ONE and my kids used it as a template. They did the actual writing on notebook paper.

You can copy the template and paste it into the Odyssey Writer, but it will look like the picture below. That's fine, because it ends up being a reference so the student can type the needed information next to each word. Here is how to do that, step-by-step.

Any time a student begins an Odyssey Writer assignment, they should first click the little "double-piece-of-paper" (copy) icon at the lower left of where they will type to paste the assignment into writing area. This provides an easy reference, especially with these vocabulary assignments. All of the words will be pasted on the SECOND page of their work.

Then they can paste the template onto the FIRST page. None of the format will paste. It will be plain text as shown below.

Now they can use the little numbers "1" and "2" to navigate between the two pages of the assignment to do this online.

Another option, if you don't want to print, is to just open the template online and have the student look at it for reference while they do the lesson on notebook paper. The advantage to doing it online is that it shows up as a completed item in the reports, even though there will be no grade shown in the reports. (Odyssey Writer assignments always get an N/A in the score column, because parents are expected to print and grade these themselves.)

Actually, I felt the vocab lessons were "busy work" for my own kids and I ended up just having them look them over to be sure there weren't any unfamiliar words. My kids all have strengths in language arts, though. (Math . . . not so much! ) If I had a child who struggled with language arts, I would have required the vocab lessons.

I hope this helps.

Name:  voc.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  58.0 KB

beeline128 is offline Junior Member

If you use Adobe Acrobat Reader, you can type directly into the PDF file. Open the PDF file, click "Tools" at the very top, then choose "Fill & Sign." It will allow you to add text anywhere within the document. You can save the document to a file without ever having to print it out. (This is what we do.) Or you can print it out complete with the text you added.

Hope this helps!

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Vocabulary dictionary template

This is a good method if you have the fillable version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.