Are we doing enough work?
    living-4-jesus is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Are we doing enough work?

Help! I feel a little lost. My youngest daughter has been using T4L for about 3 weeks now. She is in 4th grade. Until now, she has done work in each of the following: Abeka, Bob Jones, SOS and ACE. SOS was our only experience with doing school on computer. They gave me the choice of setting my own lesson plan or filling in dates for when our school year began and ended, allowing me to mark off any days that we would need off, and then it generated a plan for her. When she signed in, she knew exactly which lessons she had to do that day to stay on track. When I signed her up with T4L, it said the best way to learn was to get started, so we did. I am limited on time as far as reading other posts to find out if anyone else is having this problem. I am sort of discouraged because I don't know if we are doing enough each day. My daughter likes the program, but I am worried that we will come up short at the end of the year and not be done with all of her work. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

If it is important that your daughter finishes one grade level during the school year, you can look at the Lesson Plans and see how many lesson activities there are in each subject. Divide the number of lesson activities by the number of days in your school year, and you will know how many she must do per day to finish before the school year is over.

Some families use Time4Learning as a self-paced program. They assign an amount of TIME the student must work on each subject. (At the lower levels, Time4Learning provides a timer to assist with this.) The student works on as many activities as he can complete and comprehend during that amount of time. Usually, if a test score is low, the student repeats the lesson activity and takes the test again. Used this way, a student may complete more or less than a grade level during the year.

I just tell my kids something like, "Do two math lesson activities, one language arts, one science, and two social studies every day." They also know they are to take a quiz or test as soon as they've completed all of the lesson activities on a page (otherwise, they "forget"). It's really much easier than the planning required for SOS (which I have used for a few subjects in the past).

If you are accustomed to A Beka, BJU, SOS and PACES, you will probably be surprised at how little time per day is required to stay on track with Time4Learning.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi livin-for-jesus, (Great username)

I have my kids do

2 Math
    2 LA
    2 LA Extension

When we were using T4L'ing for SS/Science I had them do either two SS or Science and alternated each subject day to day.

HTH,
    Mary
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

living-4-jesus is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you both for your replies. I had read an earlier post that said the number of lessons may not be correct if changes had been made after the plans were put online. I will divide them out as you said and that will give us a guideline to go by. It is important for me that she finish a grade level each 12 months as long as she is learning and comprehending it all. If we needed to slow down in an area that she was having difficulty in, we would certainly do that. Again, thanks for your help.

I do have a couple more questions. My daughter finished 3rd grade ACE math, but this T4L 4th grade math is very advanced compared to what she was doing in 3rd grade with ACE. If we change to 3rd grade math, will the work she has done in the 4th grade level be erased? Just curious. It is fine either way.

Do you know what grade level they teach multiplication with T4L?

I hope I am not being a pest. I just need a little boost getting started with this. I am so accustomed to the paces and books that this is all very strange to me. I wish we could look through the levels or that they had an assessment test that would tell you a suggested level to start your child in with T4L. When you change curriculums, they are not always on the same level.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Don't worry about being a pest. Questions are expected, and that's one reason this board exists.

Multiplication is described very briefly in general terms in second grade. It is formally introduced in third grade.

If your student changes to third grade math, the work she did at the fourth grade level will still appear on her reports.

You can look through lessons on any level. Look at the lesson plans and choose a lesson you want to preview. The lesson activity number appears at the far right. Input that number as described here. Preview the lesson, but do not complete it. Read this to learn how to avoid completing the various types of lessons. If the lesson is not completed, your preview will not appear on your daughter's reports. (It WILL appear under the Recent Work tab, but recent work is only viewable for one day, and then it drops off. The information under the Reports tab is your permanent record.)

It can take some time and experimenting to place your student appropriately when changing curriculum.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!