We're back for another year.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Red face We're back for another year.

After lots of deliberation, we will be homechooling with T4L for another year! I haven't been on the boards much the last few months, so for those who don't know me, I am an accidental homeschooler who frequently doubts my ability to homeschool.

No matter how I view myself as a homeschooling parent, one thing is for sure. The kids learn so much more homeschooling and using Time 4 Learning than they ever would in a public school setting here. Their level of knowledge and achievements on paper show that they are learning, even when I wonder if they are or not.

I look forward to getting to know everyone more over the next year!
    Melissa.

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

don't make me come over there and beat you with the self-esteem stick, mel, you are totally kick butt!!! i love you and you are totally one major rockin mom!!! don't listen to you - listen to ME (cuz we all know that i'm so totally right ALL.THE.TIME.)

~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Okay, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but only because I know you're right all of the time. It's not an esteem issue. I just want the best quality of life possible for my children whether this part of it (education) comes from me or somewhere else. [I'll have you know, I happen to be highly self-centered and egotistical, according to my last doctor. Yes, me! According to anyone who actually knows me, I have no self esteem. What's with that?]
    Melissa.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hey, Welcome back! I was so excited to see you post!

Of course, you figured I'd be happy to see you, because of that self-centered, egotistical thing . . .

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SahmIam View Post
    After lots of deliberation, we will be homechooling with T4L for another year! I haven't been on the boards much the last few months, so for those who don't know me, I am an accidental homeschooler who frequently doubts my ability to homeschool.

No matter how I view myself as a homeschooling parent, one thing is for sure. The kids learn so much more homeschooling and using Time 4 Learning than they ever would in a public school setting here. Their level of knowledge and achievements on paper show that they are learning, even when I wonder if they are or not.

I look forward to getting to know everyone more over the next year!
    YIPEE
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Rofl, Kelly! Seriously, that is in my official medical records, along with anxiety and OCD tendancies. My 27 year old doctor had me all figured out! He failed to note things like general intelligence, extreme resistance to change, social difficulties, and rigid logical thinking. Hmm . . . I know I'm not a doctor, but when I scored off the charts on every test for Aspergers available to the public, I started to take that possibility into consideration over his level of experience. But I digress!

We are homeschooling, so you ladies are stuck with me for another year.

I have our general overview done and the weekly schedule is coming along just fine. My little darlings do much better when they have a very specific, checklist-style plan of action, so I'm writing their daily assignments down in their planners. For anyone wanting to do the same, the best one I have found is the Mead Elementary School Planner at Staples!! It has sections labeled for each subject as well as a place for spelling lists, and all kinds of fun stuff. Ridiculously awesome. When I found them again today (someone lost the first copies I bought a few months ago) I was in Type A Mom Heaven. Ahhhhhhh. If you have older children, they also offer a middle school version that was equally lovely.
    Melissa.

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Melissa, I would LOVE to see what a typical week of your lesson plans look like. Can you scan your planner or type it out? Because I know you have nothing better to do than to help this visual learner "see" what you're talking about.
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

adria2328 is offline Senior Member

I am glad you are staying Melissa! We will be staying too! I am also full of excitement thinking about the planner!! I am a typical type A Momma too!!!

As a side note we are having my oldest DD tested for learning disabilites, handwriting dysgraphia etc. soon and I am just trying to hold off on planning too much until we get the results back. But I really want that planner for her!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
    Adria
    Mommy of 4
    Bryanna 13
    Ralphy 7
    Coleman 5
    GraceAnn 3

Adria, we are in the process of having our "little middle" tested for Aspergers. I am hoping to have the final word either way before I start them with school. It would definitely explain so much and give me a better idea of the types of issues that are likely to pop up.

Mary, my all in one printer has kicked the bucket, but I will take pictures of the planner and link them to my FB account. I'll make it a public file so others can see it if they're interested. We know I'm seldom without the camera, lol.
    Melissa.

Okay, here's pictures of the planner itself:

Login | Facebook

What we're doing this year is a combination of T4L and super short offline lessons. The schedule looks like this. . . . (notes to follow)

Daily
    Spelling
    Language Arts
    Math
    Gym
    T4L

Monday
    CKEB Science Lesson

Tuesday
    Social Studies Lapbook
    Music Appreciation

Wednesday
    CKEB Science Hands-on activity
    Art appreciation

Thursday
    Co-op (only 1 class this year)
    Social Studies Lapbook
    Music Practice

Friday
    Hands-on Art

Notes:
    Spelling-- pretty self-explanatory. 1-2 pages per day in Evan Moor workbooks.

Language Arts-- Adrienne is using a workbook that focuses on grammar and punctuation with a tiny bit of writing; Meridian is using a project-style approach. A will do 1 page per day and M will do one step of her project (write a poem, outline an essay, write a draft, edit a draft, etc).

Math-- both girls need a LOT of drill practice, so one page per day.

CKEB Science-- The Christian Kids Explore Biology is written to do a teaching day (with memory verses, vocab, and the info), then a hands-on day (experiments, crafts, etc).

Social Studies Lapbooks-- The girls are interested in learning about ancient Greece and Rome so we will be setting aside some time to learn about them, using the Hands of a Child lapbook system.

Music Appreciation-- We're using a book/ CD combo called "Story of the Orchestra" to learn about different eras of music, as well as the instrument families.

Music-- Each kid is working on learning to play an instrument (M clarinet, A flute, C piano)

Art Appreciation-- Focusing on Impressionism, we will learn about one specific piece at a time.

Art-- putting what we learned into practice, as well as incorporating themes from books we're reading or places we're visiting.

T4L-- They have a tendancy to do loads of T4L, but I'm going to curb that so they aren't moving so quickly. 1-2 activities per subject. A will only be doing LA, LAX, and Math, whereas M still wants to do it all. [Adrienne is having a hard time with the layout of T4L science & social studies, so we're substituting for her. M wants to double up, which is completely typical for her, so I'm going to allow her to pick and choose for the science and social studies.]

Other stuff!!! We have lots of field trips planned for this year, to coincide with their lessons. We'll be doing the Museum of Flight in Seattle as well as some other places there (the science center, the zoo). We also want to go to Crater Lake, Yosemite, The Computer History Museum in Mountainview, Sacramento Rail Museum, Monterey Bay Aquarium, and the Birth of Impressionism exhibit at the DeYoung museum in San Francisco. During the road trips, we won't be doing much T4L, but we will be reading lots of age appropriate classic literature.
    Melissa.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast