What is an acceptable passing grade on quiz/test?
    journey00 is offline Member

Default What is an acceptable passing grade on quiz/test?

Hi! My 6th grade dd is new to T4L. She got a 70% on a math quiz which I wasn't too happy with. Maybe, I shouldn't freak out about it...I would like to know what others do. Make her take it again? Redo all the lessons prior or just one lesson prior to the quiz? What is an acceptable passing grade. Should she keep retaking it until she passes with a certain score? Is it ok to retake?

Thanks

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I would say it depends on your daughter's skill level. If she is a struggling student, then maybe a 70 is great. If she is a good math student, then maybe she rushed thru the test or lessons. Talk to her about the test without accusing her. Try to discover the reasons for the low grade. You might want to quiz her yourself to see what she doesn't understand, if anything. I will say that sometimes the math tests can have more than one correct answer, so you have to select all that are correct. My daughter was missing some when we first started and this was the reason. I sat with her and knew the answer she picked was correct. I failed to realize at the time the fact that there was sometimes two correct answers. I assumed that each question had only one correct answer. There aren't many of these, but they are there.

It is fine to retake a test or complete lessons again. If you retake a test, the score will be an average. The questions will not be the exact same either.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

journey00 is offline Member

Jpenn: That's great advice & I will do that! Thank you for responding

LearningCoach2012 is offline Junior Member

I'm new to T4L with my 6/7th grade daughter...I expect a 90% *or in the case of 5 questions, 4/5*....She is part of a smaller school district that has a Homelink program so she does a few classes via K12 online, PT homeschool using T4L as main curriculum with supplemental materials, and 1 day/week in class for music/keyboard, art and social time. I know she is capable even with her disabilities and this ensures that she truly learned the materials.

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Each child is different and our expectations for our children are based on what we know they can and cannot handle. Some children are not test takers, but that doesn't mean they don't know the material. Some children are good test takers, but don't truly understand the material. It is our job as the learning coach to know our child and be able to help them master material in the way they learn best. Test scores are not always the best measure of knowledge.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

Juanita Espinosa is offline Junior Member Newbie

My rule is 80% or better. If it's below 80% then I make them redo the activity and then retest.