what do I do when my child fails a time4learning test?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jpenn

Thread: what do I do when my child fails a time4learning test?

christianmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default what do I do when my child fails a time4learning test?

Am I doing something wrong? Time4 learning seems to be telling my son to take the next lesson even when he fails the previous test. How do I get the system to make him take it over? Do I have to notice that he failed and then go back and assign it? How do I do that?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Each parent can determine their own testing requirements. Some choose not to use tests at all. Some want their kids to keep working on it until they get 100%, and some feel 80% is sufficient.

The program doesn't limit content based on performance. Your student always has access to all of the lesson activities. You need to make your expectations known to your child, and then use the Reports to be sure your instructions are being followed.

Students need to know the acceptable minimum percentage grade, and what to do if they fail to obtain that score. (Repeat lesson activities? Come to Mom for tutoring? Find additional study resources on the Internet?)

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I wanted to add that some kids are just not test takers, but truly know the information. I would find out whether or not he knows the material before I made him repeat the lesson and test. I say all this because my daughter is NOT a test taker, but she almost always understands the lessons and can answer questions for me. I don't always verbally quiz her, sometimes I just discuss things in a normal conversation and that lets me know if she understands and can apply the lesson. She does't even know when I am doing this most of the time.

Just a thought.
    Robin likes this.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

WritingMom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    Each parent can determine their own testing requirements. Some choose not to use tests at all. Some want their kids to keep working on it until they get 100%, and some feel 80% is sufficient.

The program doesn't limit content based on performance. Your student always has access to all of the lesson activities. You need to make your expectations known to your child, and then use the Reports to be sure your instructions are being followed.

Students need to know the acceptable minimum percentage grade, and what to do if they fail to obtain that score. (Repeat lesson activities? Come to Mom for tutoring? Find additional study resources on the Internet?)

I'm new here.

I tried to have one of my kids retake a lesson, but it kept their old score. Is there any way I would be able to see the new scores after they've retaken a lesson/quiz/test/etc?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

The program records scores from all attempts, and averages them to get a final grade. Be sure you are looking beneath the actual Reports tab, and not in Recent Work. The portfolio defaults to Recent Work, so that's confusing sometimes.

The initial test score isn't replaced with the second attempt's score. They are both averaged in to the grade total. That's the way many schools manage second attempts, because it wouldn't be "fair" for a student who passed the test the first time to receive the same grade as one who required multiple attempts.

Homeschool parents can calculate a grade any way they choose. There are many ways to grade, and there's no reason you can't choose the method that you're comfortable with. (Many of us don't grade. We just have our student keep trying until it looks like they understand. )

You can use the information provided in the reports to calculate a grade your way, and simply make notes on your printout. My own kids' printouts are covered with my chicken scratches. I think it makes them look well-used, and adds more credibility than if they were spotless.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Brook Simmons is offline Senior Member

I agree anything my child got below a c on 70%> I record the number of the lesson on my notepad and sit down and next to her and watch her do it. If it looks like she knows it I am like whatever. I noticed some of the testing is confusing to her. She is a large thinker. For example on the map area it said which map can you see home on. She told me she could see home on all them and was confused by the question. I had to explain to her if it was a satellite map like mommy uses on google which zoom ( world, state, city) would you see our home on. I really think that lesson should cover the zoom a little bit more it doesn't explain it but Anna thought the clicking of the button was just like a next button or page turner.
    Most of the time when she did not get a good score its because something simple confused her in a big way.
    Another example a math problem asks what comes before 4 the answers were 2, 3, and two other numbers bigger. She was confused to the answer because two of the answers came before 4 and the question was not very specific. when she picked 2 and it said it was wrong she was very discouraged and did just clicked whatever on the test feeling like she did not know it.
    I agree on the credibility I let her fail so they can see I am not doing the work for her and so she can experience that feeling of need to pay attention and try harder. Its also a record of that i can look back on to see how she learned on it and how I can improve on it later.

Robin is offline Senior Member

I record grades from T4L in my own grade program each night. So if there was something that she didn't get at least a 90% on, I try to determine if she actually knows the material or not. If she isn't understanding from the lesson (since it's the same lesson over and over) I will usually find another way to explain it or find more information on the Internet. I find that you still have to be pretty active in the schooling paying attention to what is being done each day.

amysmith949 is offline Junior Member Newbie

is this program enough to take to be used as an evalutaion in the state of virginia?

Chrys is offline Junior Member

Before "school" started this year I picked up a Teacher's Plan Book and a Teacher's Record Book (which at the time I was acctually able to get at the dollar store for a grand total of $2!) I then sat down after I enrolled the kids and wrote out their entire year's worth of lessons in the planner (a lot of work but it saved on the cost of ink and paper). Every day after the kids are done with this part of their schooling I sit down and record their attendance and any scores (actually averaging them out the way school's do) for each subject. We also mark off each lesson done in the planner as their done. When I notice that one of the kids scored low on a particular quiz/test I have them re-do it the next day and if it was a lesson that had a worksheet with it I go ahead and print out the worksheet so that they work on that before the quiz. I've found that this helps them get the information that they missed before and it brings the tests scores up to 90-100%. Grades are very important to my husband at least in Math, Science, and Language so even if I know they know the lesson we re-do it. It only takes a couple minutes and reinforces the lesson again for them. Both of my children are doing wonderful but my son with adhd sometimes "zones" and just flashes through a quiz/test and therefore scores lower than he really should - by having him re-do the test/quiz it shows him he actually knows the information and that taking your time is important...