What do you do for 8th grade social studies?
    aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

Default What do you do for 8th grade social studies?

Ok, we started using T4L for 6th grade and started with 6th grade for everything.... didnt really get the "start things like science and social studies in lower grades" at that point so we didnt.
    Now, we are starting 8th grade for my oldest and there is no social studies for 8th grade.
    He has already completed 6th and 7th grade SS so I dont want to repeat those and I think moving him down to 5th grade is silly.

What have others done?

I was thinking about having him do the history of Oregon, where we live. We have done States and Capitals but this would be learning all about Oregon, famous people, important things that happened, etc. I have lots of clippings from the paper as last year was our 150th anniv. and they did cool facts daily. Plus the government has a good website for kids, etc. It would involve a lot of research(which I think is a good think, since high school and college has more research) and more hands on.

But, I am open to other ideas!

mom2ahrj is offline Member

have you looked at american heritage education foundation's FREE history curriculum? i used it previously and loved it!
    American Heritage Education Foundation, Inc.

also, there's a great free science curriculum online now
    JASON Mission Center - Overview

jenn

Tammera is offline Junior Member

Hi. I'm new here, but since I literally just finished mocking up my daughter's 8th grade social studies course of study for the first semester of the upcoming year, I thought I would jump in. My daugher is special needs, with multiple challenges that make it difficult for her to learn "textbook" style....so we don't use that. She is 14 and will be entering 8th grade this Fall. For social studies this upcoming year I plan on blending some course of study recommendations for 8th graders covering the Age of Discovery (1600s) which will include the video and read a loud book for The Three Muskateers and The Dark Frigate. In October we're going to go "spooky" with the Black Plague and the London Fire. We will also be covering the history and lore behind Halloween, it's customs, start and celebrations in today's day and age. November will ring in elections in the House, Senate and Govenor seats, so we will be focusing on the political system, government and electoral process. November will also be scattered with Thanksgiving themed history. We will also be focusing extensively on the history, pioneers, first inhabitants, Andrew Jackson and the Indian Removal Act, etc. of Tenness, Appalacia's and the Smokey Mountain regions. [Currently we do live in IL...but are moving in about six months "back home". She is very excited about the move and therefore, we are focusing on the area she will be living. ]

As far as modality, we use an eclectic style and will be incorporating lapbooks, notebooks, videos, and some others that help bring out the information in smaller, concentrated chunks so that she retains what she is learning!

I tend to be a bit longwinded....but I hope this gets some creative juices revitalized!
    Tammera

AnnaTaylor is offline Junior Member

Hi, I am in MD. My son has ADHD so I have to get a little creative. I wanted to change things up with different subjects. Use the Internet with some subjects, textbooks with others, and also DVD (learning Sign Language).

For this Fall I plan to use the textbook, "All American History, Vol. 1" by Rakes for Social Studies. It seems interesting and have nice hands-on work included. It also provide suggestions for field trips and stuff. I also taped Civil War episodes on my DVR so that should come in handy too. I have been homeschooling since Spring Break and use T4L for Social Studies now and he's having to read just as much on internet as he would a book. I like the internet if there is interactive stuff going on (Math and LA are great!).

Anna in Bowie, MD

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Thinkwell video courses? We enjoyed their government course, but that was for high school.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

jpenn is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I don't think it is silly at all to let him do the 5th grade history. There might be something in it he really likes and it wouldn't be too hard for him at all.
    Joyfully,
    Jackie

matnniksmom2 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I just decided to do social studies from a music perspective for my 8th grade son this year. Actually, I'm really excited about it too! We're going to begin with Native Americans and move all the way to current time. If you really think about it, each part of our history is veery tied to music. I think it will be a great springboard to get into each part of our history as a country and it will be a good way to get him doing more research and writing. I found a book on Amazon called Listen to Learn : Using American Music to Teach Language Arts and Social Studies by Teri Tebbitt that gave me the idea and it has some great ideas including vocab and worksheets to go with it. Good luck however you decide to go about it. Just remeber this is a wonderful chance to share with our kids in an unconventional way to learn.

Tammera is offline Junior Member

Teaching social studies with music?! What a unique idea....I love it!! I am going to look into this possibility for our program. I never even fathomed this was something that could be done!! Time for me to start thinking outside the box again....
    Tammera