What do you think?
    teachermomjen is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelT
    I want to know if this ok to the other parents. I am sure that artistic license is taken in trying to explain the very complex spectrum of human emotions but I would like my son to do things without complaining. Will he be influenced by the story to do negative things? Not Niki, He's a great kid and he does what he is told. So I am not sure if it is worth making a stink over. Well, what do you think? I have found other stories like this one where the kids ever so eloquently whine and complain.
    MichaelT -- I'm not sure that this is OK with me. Kids are kids, and most will whine and complain on their own, without being given models to whine by. Models like this just give them more negative vocabulary or phrases to whine with. Unfortunately, they are bombarded with bad examples from real life and the media. We won't be able to completely and always shield our kids from those bad examples; I think the solution is to make sure we discuss with them what makes something a bad model. That being said, I would greatly appreciate it if the curricula we use (such as T4L) would help us out a bit by providing better models for behavior!

- Jen

Victoria is offline Junior Member Newbie

I am very new here, and probably should hold my tongue. That being said, here I go.

I have five wonderful, caring, well adjusted children. Three are grown, 2 are still being home schooled. They have all been relatively obedient and are all very well disciplined.

We would all love it if our children never felt or expressed negative emotions about the mundane or tedious drudgeries in life, but they do. I did, and sometimes still do. I don't care how you slice and dice it, hanging up laundry will never be fun for me. However, knowing that most of the general population feels the same way and that we all have to do it brings a sense of fairness to the whole situation. It also brings a nice sense of accomplishment when the task is complete. And when it's voluntarily done for someone else, it's understood that a sacrifice was made and the gift is appreciated.

We can often nudge our children into happy obedience with the promise of rewards (either that great big smile, and all the bragging we do about them within ear shoot, or material gain). But, I highly doubt just hidding the honest unpleasant emotions that others feel about routine chores will somehow trick them into believing that everyone else likes doing them.

I happen to enjoy laughing with my children when we read such peoms and stories. We relate. In fact, I've been know to make up a few of my own. When my son was dating his now wife he and his brother and sister frequently wanted to go to her house to watch movies and play games. My husband, however, was quite strict about chores being done before recreation. So I just changed the words to the song 'going to the big D' (as his wife's name is Dannielle) and sang;

We're going to the big D and don't mean Dallas
    I can't believe what my Dad had to tell us
    Clean up the bathroom, sweep up the floors
    you ain't goin' nowhere 'till you do your chores.

It drove them crazy, but we sure laughed alot while the work was being done.

Children learn what they live.