what is Lang Arts "EXT"?
    Cathy is offline Senior Member

Default what is Lang Arts "EXT"?

Good morning everyone...
    I was wondering if someone can help with this. I always thought the language arts extensions was and extension of what the lesson in language arts is. I've often seen posts of people asking if they should have their kids do the extensions or if others have their kids do them, or if it was just enough to do only the language arts. I've always had my kids do both, however, I wanted to add big IQ kids vocabulary to their day and let my 5th grader skip the extensions. I looked this morning and didn't think the extensions was an extension of the language arts at all. In fact, it seems to have a ton of material I'd prefer he didn't skip. Also there aren't the same amount of lessons in each. Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks!!!

aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

Default Re: what is Lang Arts "EXT"?

Ok, LA is more English uses, different word forms, etc. while LA EX is more grammar and at the end spelling. I wouldnt skip it because it is TOTALLY different than LA. Some things will cover the same but right now in LA, my 6th grader is doing Homophones but in LA Ex moving at the same pace he is learning verbs, adverbs, composition writing, etc. AND the last chapter of LA EX is the spelling words for that grade. You do not have to wait to do these. We are doing 1 lesson a week of the spelling and then taking the words over to spellingcity and practicing them there.
    To me they are like ying and yang. Totally different parts of LA but you need them both to get the full spectrum of it.

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

not sure what grade your child is in, but i think it also depends on that. when katie was in 2nd grade this past year, she loved doing ext because each lesson was a different theme. weather, nature ... interesting stuff that she enjoyed. but jack's 3rd grade ext weren't nearly as fun lol. but he still liked doing them.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Language arts encompasses so many things . . . reading, writing, spelling, grammar, vocabulary, speech, etc. The core language arts focuses on language usage. The extensions cover everything else.

Parents use them in a variety of ways. I like to have my first and second graders do the extensions AFTER they have completed the entire core language arts program. That's because the reading selections in the extensions are just a little more difficult than in the core program. The first and second grade extensions are WONDERFUL ways to incorporate some additional science and social studies concepts into your child's curriculum.

From third grade and up, I have my kids do one or two core language arts activities and one or two extensions each day.

The spelling and vocabulary lessons in the fourth, fifth, and sixth grade extensions are organized a bit differently. I like to have my kids do one or two PAGES of a spelling OR vocabulary activity each day.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Cathy is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the replies.......
    I am having my 2nd grader do language arts 3rd grade and not any of the 3rd grade extensions....it's a bit too much for him. Weird though, he has mastered everything in the 2nd grade extensions and found it extrememly easy. I gues it is a big jumkp from 2nd to 3rd in the extensions. We are going to do the 3rd grade extensions next year when he will actually be in 3rd grade Do you think it is ok to do it this way?
    My 5th grader does one LA & one LA Ext each day....we school 4 days per week. That takes him right to the end of the year basically!!! Worked out beautifully!!
    Thanks again for explaining the difference to me!

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

that sounds like a good plan, but remember that there is no governing body to tell you what is right and wrong. no one knows your child and his abilities better than you, so how you choose to use the curriculum is completely up to you.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

It's fine to mix and match levels according to your child's ability.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!