What is Odyssey Writing?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bethm95 is offline Junior Member

Default What is Odyssey Writing?

How do you use it?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Beth!

Odyssey Writer is a word processing program that is introduced during the second half of third grade. (Before third grade, students use Story Creator.) When a writing assignment is given, the Writer automatically pops up so the student can use it to do the assignment. The student can save the assignment and come back to it later. When the assignment is completed, he clicks "Hand In". That does not actually hand the assignment in to a person. It simply marks it as "Complete", so it will show up in the student's portfolio, under the Reports section. When the parent notices the completed Odyssey Writer assignment in their child's portfolio, they can print it directly from the Reports and manually grade or evaluate it.

Some parents are confused when their child's assignment isn't graded by Time4Learning. The grading function was set up for schools to use. Since Time4Learning is a curriculum, not a school, the grading option isn't functional. (It won't work for individual use, anyway.) You can use the rubric in the grading function as a guide to help you decide how to grade your student's writing.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Well I'm still very new to this site, so when do they get writing assignments?

Blog Entries

Students get "writing" assignments beginning in kindergarten. Kindergartners use Story Creator to move pictures around online to "tell a story". First graders have the option of adding a few words to their pictures and second graders are given room to write a few sentences about their picture. About halfway through the third grade language arts curriculum, students begin using Odyssey Writer.

You can give your own writing assignments and your student may do them in Odyssey Writer, if you like. There is an icon on your student's launchpad that you can use to access Odyssey Writer. You can see a picture of it in this information about Odyssey Writer. (There are three pages of info, so click on the arrows at the top, right in order to access all of it.)

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Okay, so they get writing assignments in Language Arts? What section?

Blog Entries

Beginning in Chapter Five of third grade, the last lesson activity in each chapter is an Odyssey Writer assignment. To locate these, log in as a parent and access the language arts lesson plans for your student's grade level. Scroll down to Chapter Five or later and look for the last lesson plan in each chapter. They are labeled in a way that makes it clear they are writing assignments. For example, the first one in grade four is called: Describe Setting/Diary (writing: narrative). Input the lesson activity number into the Activity Finder. You will be able to explore the assignment in this way. Just don't click "Hand In", because you don't want your exploration to show up on your student's reports.

ANY parent previews will appear under the "Recent Work" tab in your student's portfolio. Information under Recent Work is retained a maximum of one month and shows ALL program access; even incomplete work. When viewing and printing reports for your student, be sure you are checking under the "Reports" tab instead of "Recent Work". Only COMPLETED work will appear there, and the only Odyssey Writer assignments that will appear there are the ones that have been "turned in". You can print the turned-in Odyssey Writer assigments from these reports. Even if YOU assign the writing project to your student, it will appear in his reports, as long as he clicks "turn in". Information under "Reports" should be retained indefinitely but, because no technology is 100% perfect, Time4Learning recommends that parents print a weekly report for each student.

Do the writing assignments come in LA or LA Extensions? Like I said, we're new to this, this is only our first week and I still don't know what is what and what is where!!! We do love the site though. The kids are having a blast.

Blog Entries

The writing assignments occur on a regular schedule in the core language arts program. An OCCASIONAL writing assignment that uses Odyssey Writer does pop up in science, social studies, and even math!

Michellel is offline Junior Member

I am also wondering when a 4th grader would get an odyssey writer project. We have been using T4L for a little over 2 months now, and he has not had one. But my 2nd grade daughter does at least one Story Creator lesson a week.
    Michelle, mom to ds 9, dd 8, married to Gary for 14 years.
    www.lightsonthelake.blogspot.com

Tutelage is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Parent Grading Odyssey Writing Assignments

I have a further question.

I noticed above you said "When the parent notices the completed Odyssey Writer assignment in their child's portfolio, they can print it directly from the Reports and manually grade or evaluate it. You can use the rubric in the grading function as a guide to help you decide how to grade your student's writing."

I'd like to know more specifically how I go about grading his assignment based on the rubric. I opened my son's turned in assignment and no longer see the rubric. What is the "grading function" you refer to above?
    Tutelage School Mom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast