What order to do math?
    fiddlearnd is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default What order to do math?

Hi all! We're new to T4L and been using it about 3 weeks now. My 6th grader is using it for core math. My question- When are you supposed to do the Practice questions? They come at the end of the sequential order (after all the other chapters have been done), but are you supposed to find the practice questions that link to the concept they are learning and do those at the time? Are the practice questions extra or is it presumed that it is part of the core math curriculum?

Also, does anyone know which level of the math would correspond with "pre algebra" at a public school?

Thanks!

Paula

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Paula!

First of all, there is no such thing as a typical "pre-algebra at a public school". Schools all differ in the texts they choose, and textbooks vary widely in what they decide to call "pre-algebra". Time4Learning begins to teach algebraic concepts quite early, so the student's skills build over time. You might notice a chapter called "Algebra" in most of the grade levels. There is an algebra program available on request. It is intended for advanced middle schoolers, and you might consider it pre-algebra. To request this added to your student's dashboard, just email [email protected] .

Now, about the Practice lessons: The math program was updated a couple of years ago. Instead of doing away with the old program entirely, it was bundled up and placed at the end of the new program, labeled "Practice". You only need to use those if your student needs extra practice on something. The new program is "complete" without them.

I hope this helps!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

fiddlearnd is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Thanks!

This TOTALLY helps! I was under the misimpression that my 6th grader had to get through all the Chapters and the entire Practice section I feel a bit less stressed knowing we don't have to complete all the practice questions in one year!

Thanks again. So far, my daughters love T4L! So far, so good. My oldest is using it for her main curriculum and my youngest we're using it as more of a supplement.

Glad to have these forums. Thanks to all the moderators

Paula