What are you supplementing with?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    schoollife123 is offline Junior Member

Default What are you supplementing with?

Greetings, Anyone that is supplementing Time4Learning, would you please share what you are doing? Any subjects or music lessons or extracurricular activities. I want to make sure we aren't missing anything. I really want to know the subjects and what you are using for them, but it'd be nice to hear about all the extra activities that your child(ren) have going on in their lives. I'm really hoping to get a great response from this. I'm pretty sure all the newbies would love to have this information.

I guess I'm thinking of the parents that are using Time 4 Learning as their Core Curriculum. But even if you aren't using T4L as your core curriculum and you want to join in, by all means I'd love to hear about it.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I like the Evan-Moor review books. You can find them on Amazon, or on the Evan-Moor site.

We like Handwriting Without Tears and Rosetta Stone Spanish.

Don't forget Spelling City and Science4Us!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

We use Time4Learning as our core curriculum. We also use SpellingCity.
    My daughter loves to read. So she reads a lot of non-fiction books as well as historical fiction books, like the old American Girl series, My America series, and Sisters in Time series. One of the features we like with SpellingCity is the Literature word lists. And if we cannot find a list that has already been created for the book she's reading, we'll create our own list. It really helps her comprehension if she's played some of the games on SpellingCity using the word lists first.

Also, we're part of a very active homeschool support group. Last year they had a co-op and my daughter took a music class where she learned about different composers, and she learned how to play a few songs on a recorder/flute. My son took an art class. And my other daughter has taken sign language and Spanish. My kids have also been in the homeschool drama club and our homeschool P.E. group. Oh, we also have been part of a science group. For science we would meet at a park every Wednesday morning for a couple of hours. The park ranger would talk to the kids about bugs or plants or birds. They always had a lesson prepared for our group. We'd usually go on a short hike, and then the lesson. Each family paid a small fee for each child.

The homeschool support group has always been a great way of finding additional activities for the kids. The field trips are always a great bonus to our homeschool. And of course, whenever we go on vacation, we usually like to visit the historical sites or museums and create a lesson from it....or at least have them journal about the cool things they saw and learned.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

Wow Janet it sounds like you are doing a lot of great stuff!!! I'm surprised that both of you are using Spelling City. I know that T4L has spelling lists for each grade, why did you decide to supplement with Spelling City as well? My kids aren't very good at spelling at this point so we are really working hard on the lists.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

The things I mentioned have not all been done in one year. We live in a city where we have a very large homeschooling community. So we benefit from all the activities our homeschool groups offer. We have to learn to say no sometimes.

I use SpellingCity with my daughter to aid her comprehension. It's mostly for vocabulary and comprehension. She loves to read, so she's a pretty good speller. When she is reading through a book that is above her grade level, I'll pull out words that are new to her and create a list on SpellingCity. Sometimes I'll find that a word list has already been created for certain literature books.

With my older kids I used SpellingCity for science. It helped them with their physical science, anatomy, biology. I created word lists for each of their chapters. It really improved their test scores.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

Yellowrosedallas is offline Junior Member

My grandson, age 11, is learning typing (keyboarding) by touch. There are some good free sites. He also uses Khan Academy's PROGRAMMING section. It geared to be easy to learn. He loves T4L Science Program. He has been doing the Middle School track. For extra practice he does a very quick xtramath.com.

Jimmy_aviles is offline Junior Member

We use t4l for or core, and A+ spelling (app on the ipad) for spelling. I have found the math needs more practice work as well. The lower grades are great and interactive which my kids love, but my 5th grader has trouble and needs extra practice I recently got a summer review book to give him extra problems. I found that the grammar is lacking this last testing season both of my kids had lower scores in grammar and spelling, so I have purchased Daily Grammar for them which we love, its short and very to the point offering daily practice which is all they really needed.

We also do activities and fieldtrips with a local co-op, and enrichment classes make a huge difference!

geawarr is offline Junior Member

does Rosetta Stone Spanish have them learn writing as well as speaking?

onlyme4430 is offline Member

we're using T4L as our core curriculum, but are definitely supplementing all of the subjects to make the lessons more in depth and get extra practice on some of the skills.
    Math: we just add in some extra worksheets (i use a summer bridge workbook and a lot of free things from teacherspayteachers.com) and try to make it as fun as possible to review basic skills and math facts. also use some life skill learning things for money and measuring and try to incorporate the skills in other subjects when possible.
    Language Arts: we do lots of unit studies and lapbooks that help with this. currently we're doing a unit on Mr. Popper's Penguins that i found on teacherspayteachers.com (i really love that site lol)
    Social Studies: again, lots of lapbooking on the specific subject that we're studying at the time. we're on our 4th one now and they help to expand on the basics learned in the lessons
    Science: we have a subscription to the young scientist club so we're just adding in those kits to the regular lessons
    EXTRAS: we have a fantastic homeschool community where we live so he's taking 3 enrichment classes through a local program on fridays and we are part of an informal group of homeschool families that do field trips, classes, and activities. plus, he takes swim lessons once a week and has therapies for his special needs 2x a week. we're always busy but i've found that he can typically complete his school work by 1pm every day with breaks so it's working so far hope this helps!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast