Why am I the One Afraid of Failing
    Kirahfaye is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Why am I the One Afraid of Failing

Okay, my daughter officially started homeschooling today using T4L. She's doing fine - I'm the mess. When I saw all the icons on the pages for LA and math I did the deer in the headlights thing. I froze. I suggested she click on the first icon in each lesson series and we went from there. She's finishing everything quickly so I hope I have her set up properly. She's enjoying it so we'll see how she tests out later.

I did the walkthrough before signing up last week. Perhaps I should look it over again. I'm not as concerned about my daughter failing as I am that I might fail her.

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Why am I the One Afraid of Failing

I felt the exact same way when we started homeschooling last year! It's okay. You will be more at ease once you have some tangible eveidence that things are going well. Homeschooling is an especially difficult undertaking for previously public-schooled parents because we have been programmed to believe that the best thing we can do for our children is to send them to the best school we can afford so that we can confidently step aside and let the professionals do their job. For whatever reason, you are homeschooling, so you just need to take that same confidence you put into the public school system and put it in yourself, not only as a mother, but as a teacher. There will be a time when you hear something along the lines of, "Well, I listened to Mrs. ____ because she was a real teacher," or, "I don't have to do my work because you're my mom, not my teacher," and you need to develop the inner conviction now so that you can better deal with that when it happens. The way you do that is to stop looking at yourself as an unsure parent trying something new, and replace those feelings with every right and good thing you've done so far. Read through the getting started guides if you haven't already and put on your game face. T4L will do most of the hard work. You just need to be there for your child by leading her confidently in the way that she should go. It helps to decide how much she should do everyday and what else you will have her do outside of T4L. HTH You're going to be just fine!
    Melissa.

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

kirah, melissa has great advice because she - like all of us - have worn those same shoes at one time or another. you are obviously concerned enough about your child to find a good curriculum for her, so you are already no where near failing her!! i promise you we all have "those moments". melissa can attest to the fact that i had mine the other night when i tearfully msged her on facebook with "i think i'm going to absolutely lose my mind and i need help!!"

we are here for you ... regardless of how big or little that panic button is i hate going back and finding links, but kelly - the link maven - will be able to hook you up. we often talk about how many lessons we should do each day and each week to make them last thru the year. there is no "right" answer ... "right" is what works for your family!!

tell us more about your situation ... how old is your daughter and was the decision to homeschool a sudden one?
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

Kirahfaye is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks, ladies. It's been a day to say the least. After a relatively smooth first day of homeschool we had a blow up just before I had to leave for work and her to an appt. It smoothed itself out, thankfully.

My daughter suffers from depression and anxiety. After only 11 days in the 8th grade she started to fall apart. Last year she spent far too much time out of school and was on the brink of being held back. Over the summer we had discussed homeschooling, however we all thought she be okay back in school, but it proved too much for her. So homeschooling it is.

Now don't get me wrong - homeschooling was something I had always wanted to do, only I never felt confident enough in my abilities (I have dyslexia) and there was always the financial concern, also. Fortunately, my husband (my daughter's stepdad) is as committed to working with her as I am and he's a wiz at math and science. And her dad supports the decision, too.

In my head, I know it's going to take several weeks before there's a rhythm and flow that we can both appreciate. In my heart, I'm not so sure and worry that this isn't going to work. I'd like to see her return to high school next year, but I rather doubt she will. Perhaps the 10th grade. I say that because I so enjoyed my high school years and would love her to have the same experience. However, if I'm fortunate enough to find a local support group and/or co-op that can help foster that high school camaraderie that would work, too.

I'll keep hanging in there, and really appreciate your replies. Thanks . . . and keep 'em coming! LOL!

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

We just joined a weekly co-op through our school and it's a lot of fun! It gives us a day where we can do something different and be around other people in a light-hearted academic setting. If we're being completely candid, it does stress *me* out a little, but our family has different dynamics and being in that setting isn't my forte. But the girls have a good time and that's what's important. You'll find things that your daughter likes to do that will be low stress for her. How about martial arts? She would be around other kids without the pressure to chat or do things exactly how they are doing it.
    Melissa.

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

wow that is a struggle ... well keep in touch on here. we're no where near high school yet, but we've decided that with my son's idosynchrosies we're just going to homeschool him all the way. there are some amazing groups out there. i'm sure you'll find the right path, don't let yourself get frustrated.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!