Why was Language Arts 5th grade changed mid-year?
    RhondaL is offline Junior Member

Default Why was Language Arts 5th grade changed mid-year?

What is up with mid-year changes in the curriculum? I can no longer follow my lesson plan. Nothing is matching up, there is new stuff thrown in between sections we have completed, and some of the sections that I know we have completed are not showing checked (which causes melt downs for my autistic son).

This is all very frustrating because now I have to find the time to completely re-do my lesson plan, try and figure out everything we have already done to make sure we cover the lessons needed, and process my child through the changes in the interactive programs.

I know there is nothing I can do about this, but it really would have been nice to have gotten an email notifying us of changes that would impact people who have printed out a full year curriculum.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Rhonda. You do not have to use the new material. It is marked "New" within the lesson plans, so you can identify it. There was a message on your parent login account for several weeks preceding the addition of the new material, explaining that it was coming. Most parents log in to their parent account regularly. Perhaps the addition of an email might be a good idea next time. I'll suggest it.

Time4Learning uses curriculum developed by Compass Learning Odyssey, who only provides it to schools. Time4Learning has purchased a license that allows them to offer it to families and individuals. Since Time4Learning doesn't own the curriculum, they have no control of what updates are made or when they are made. Time4Learning has added many features to make a program designed for school use available for families, but they can only add helpful tools. They can't affect the lessons or reports themselves.

I'm sorry this has been an inconvenience and, as mom to a child with a dual Down syndrome/autism diagnosis, I do understand this has probably been especially difficult for your son.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

RhondaL is offline Junior Member

Thank you. I wasn't aware that you guys don't do the updating. I apologize for my frustration, I probably should have waited until after the meltdown to post - I think both kid and mommy are struggling with returning to our normal routine after the holiday. I usually don't log into the parent section of the site until I'm ready to run reports so I never saw the notice for updates. I will have to go back and check again, but I couldn't find corresponding lessons to match the plan I had printed out (the names didn't match) in our LA section on Tuesday. It was like they had renamed everything. I rely solely on T4L for our curriculum, it is the only thing that has worked for my son and I couldn't live without it. You guys are great and this is the first time I've come across a hiccup that created a 'world is ending' melt down and I admit my frustration got the better of me.

Again, I apologize - I know you guys work hard and I didn't mean to take it out on you.

I appreciate your quick response and the explanation - I really helps - Thank You