Wrong Math Answers
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By onlyme4430

Thread: Wrong Math Answers

hzritter is offline Member

Default Wrong Math Answers

I read some where that someone had mentioned they found T4L to give out wrong Math answers; I am now wondering if this is true?
    My child just finished a quiz on order of operations and she got 2 wrong, I went and did them myself and got the same answer she did. So now I am concerned Math can be frustrating enough without the system failing.

Problem:
    144/12-8+3

144/12=12

12-8+3

8+3=11

12-11=1

Answer 1

blong12275 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Wrong answer!

Hi. My daughter just now experienced this also. She finished a quiz and tried really hard two see she had missed problems and then I did them and found they were correct. I guess it is a good thing we always go over the missed problems as review! I find this to be very discouraging along with the fact that the only grading process allows for averages and not to edit grades. understand grades are for teachers to show parents but they also allow the kid to visually see the hard work and the efforts of that. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by hzritter View Post
    I read some where that someone had mentioned they found T4L to give out wrong Math answers; I am now wondering if this is true?
    My child just finished a quiz on order of operations and she got 2 wrong, I went and did them myself and got the same answer she did. So now I am concerned Math can be frustrating enough without the system failing.

Problem:
    144/12-8+3

144/12=12

12-8+3

8+3=11

12-11=1

Answer 1

charlenew1977 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Cool RE: wrong math answer

Quote Originally Posted by hzritter View Post

Problem:
    144/12-8+3

144/12=12

12-8+3

8+3=11

12-11=1

Answer 1
    I hope this answer might help, math can be tricky, especially order of operation. It looks like in the problem solving process a couple things went wrong...An equal sign was added to the problem making it an equation.

This is how I remember order of operation

Think of:
    OEDMAS
    O () Parenthesis
    E Exponents
    D M Division or Multiplication (in order from left to right)
    A S Addition or Subtraction (in order from left to right)

So technically:
    It could also be any of the following:

Just remember that Division and Multiplication you do which ever one comes first they are equal, the same with Addition and Subtraction.

OEDMAS
    OEDMSA
    OEMDAS
    OEDMSA

If this is the original problem:

144/12-8+3

12-8+3

4+3

Answer 7

I hope this hasn't confused you further, this is the way I learned it a long time ago...I know there are other acronyms for it, but this is the one I remember.

From a Teacher now a Home School Mom

hzritter is offline Member

Ok, no this hasn't confused me. I learned PEMDAS and that you multiply before you divide and you add before you subtract. hmm I'm going to have to call my sister in law. she's an algebra freak, lol. I'll see what she say and get back to this.

onlyme4430 is offline Member

you do whichever comes first in the problem (i think lol) so if it is 12 - 8 + 3 then you would solve doing subtraction first 12 - 8 then add 3 you have the PEMDAS (T4L uses GEMDAS) idea correct, but one of the minor rules for multiplication/division and for addition/subtraction is that whichever one comes first in the problem is the one you do first...at least that's how i understood it when i was doing the lesson with my son! (i got a couple wrong in the practice section lol)
    hzritter likes this.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

One great thing about using an online curriculum is that any errors in the program can be easily fixed . . . unlike textbook publishers, who generally have a page on their website for each book, detailing all the errors. If you've bought that book, you are stuck with the mistakes. I've bought a few books that actually included a printout of errors with the book. :P

Like anything else, Time4Learning isn't perfect. The vast majority of reported "errors" regarding answers, though, are because of not understanding how to do the problem, or from accidentally typing a space before the answer or from using a zero for a letter "o" or vice versa.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

lac.ddclc is offline Member

Hi. I understand the frustration of seeing my child get an answer wrong according to the answer key while I believe he's right and can't do anything about it (I just asked support about this very thing).

In this case, charlenew1977 is right; the answer is 7. With PEMDAS, you do have to do parentheses before exponents, but when it comes to the multiplciation/division part, it doesn't matter what order those two are done, as long as they're done after the exponents and before the addition/subtraction. The order of addition/subtraction also doesn't matter as long as they're done after all other operations. What does matter is the sign before the number. For example:

144/12-8+3 can be figured as
    144/12=12
    then 12-8=4
    then 4+3=7

or 144/12-8+3 can be figured as
    144/12=12
    then -8+3=-5 (notice the - before the 8 is included in the addition part of the equation)
    then 12-5=7

Whether you do the addition first or the subtraction first, either way you should get the same answer.

I hope this helps.

I also learned PEMDAS! It will be interesting to hear a final answer...

PEMDAS is what I was taught too!