Yikes! Have to Enroll in Public School...
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AskFloppy

Thread: Yikes! Have to Enroll in Public School...

AskFloppy is offline Junior Member

Default Yikes! Have to Enroll in Public School...

I recently posted this in the Homeschool Families forum, but I'm also posting this here to see if anyone who frequents this area might have had a similar experience, or knows someone who has.

We've been using T4L since the beginning (6 years), and now suddenly we are faced with a situation where we can no longer homeschool. I will be enrolling my daughter (just turned 12) in public school in just a few weeks. I am freaking out because she should be going into 6th grade in the fall, but has been working on different grade levels in T4L. She's almost finished with Language Arts 5, but has just started Language Arts 4 Extensions (which is possibly too easy for her). However, she's always been "behind" in Math, and is working in the early chapters of Math 4. She struggled quite a bit in Social Studies 3 but made it through, and she's been working in Social Studies 4. I don't even want to think about how far behind she is on Science...

We've spent an inordinate amount of time working on Math since that is her weakest area, but unfortunately it's been at the expense of some of the other subjects. She does read very well, though.

Since T4L is standards-based, there are surely going to be some gaps in where she is now compared to the other students. I have never had her tested, but she'll come across that situation at some point this year in school anyway. I am freaking out the most about those two issues.

She seems to be pretty excited about going, so I guess that's one positive thing. But I just hope the school district doesn't decide to put her in 4th grade; I don't think she'd like being in a classroom full of 9- and 10-year-olds.

Have any of you all had to do this on short notice? What was your experience like?

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Just wanted to let you know I posted this on our facebook page today. I hope you get some answers.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I understand that situations change and that sometimes returning to traditional school is unavoidable. I think you might find that your daughter will do ok in comparison to the education that she would have gotten in public school because most families use more of T4L than a comparable traditional school room would accomplish in a school year. Does that make sense? Let me try a different way...do you ever remember finishing a text book in public school? I went to public school and do not ever remember getting all the way through a text book. I guess what I am trying to say is that if your daughter has done most or all of the lessons, per grade, to date, she probably has been exposed to more information than she might have been in public school. Will there be gaps? Maybe...maybe not, and the gaps will be easy to catch up on. Remember that T4L can be used as after school work as well as homeschooling curriculum. Best of luck!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

There is still very little consistency in what is taught from school to school. Any time a student changes schools, there will be some things the new school teaches that the student already knows, and some things they are expected to know that they haven't studies yet. This is especially true with science and social studies. I agree with Linda. If your daughter has done fine with her Time4Learning lessons to date, she is likely to be prepared for public school.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

AskFloppy is offline Junior Member

Thanks so much to all who responded. I also read the comments on Facebook. I feel a little better about things, and I think we're going to keep Time4Learning going for awhile to supplement if we need it. Really appreciate the helpful people in the parent community; though I haven't posted much, I have always appreciated this place as a great resource.