Curious about Homeschooling
    Unregistered Guest

Default Curious about Homeschooling

Hello, I was just wondering how one starts homeschooling. My child has been in public school since the beginning and he is now in 6tb grade, 3 weeks into the school year and I feel like enough is enough. I want to homeschool but I'm not sure how to get started or where to start. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Curious about Homeschooling

Hi! You might want to take a look at the Welcome to Homeschooling guide.

Each state has its own homeschool laws. They are all very different.

I like to make sure potential homeschool families understand there is a difference between homeschooling and enrolling in an online school. Many people mistakenly refer to enrollment in an online school as "homeschooling", because the work is done at home.

Time4Learning is homeschooling, because the parent directs the student's education and the parent is responsible for following the homeschool laws in the student's state of residence.

In an online school, a third party directs the student's education and the third party is responsible for following the school laws (not homeschool laws) in the third party's state.

Michigan is very homeschool-friendly. Here are the homeschool laws in Michigan. If your students have been in public school, it's a good idea to notify them as a courtesy. Other than that, you are on your own unless either of your kids want special education services from the school district. They can even take electives at the public school.

I'm not from Michigan; I just have some experience interpreting homeschool laws, so this is just intended as something to get you started and not as any kind of legal advice. It's important to know and understand your state's homeschool laws yourself.

Hopefully someone from Michigan will pop in with their experience.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Unregistered Guest

Hi! I am in the same situation as you!

I have a 6th grader who just started Middle School and am fed up with the unsafe,atmosphere they are providing for the kids.

Last Thursday he was punched in the back while eating lunch and never even saw who did it but his friend did. In addition, the same day, someone grabbed his foot on the stairs. Had he not grabbed the railing, he would have fallen face 1st down the stairs!

Monday, something similar happened on the stairs. We've been in touch with administration & they have promised more teacher presence in the hall.

I homeschooled him in math to catch him up on some concepts. Not only did I catch him up,but he had mastered 20% of the 6th grade concepts by the time he started!

Now that school has started, everything is moving so s-l-o-w! No assignments at all in Language Arts!

He was also given a 50% on his flexibility test in gym! That doesn't seem fair at all since they just started.

Where are you? We are in Waterford but are a school of choice and have a lot of Pontiac kids that have come in. I hate to blame it on that. But most of those poor [email protected] are coming from from background nothing like my son. It'seems just hard!

I would love to keep in touch and see how things are going with you! My email is [email protected].

Good luck!!

Johan Fernandes Guest

It really depends on the type of help that you need. If itís just exercises to practice, there is a ton of places. If itís videos to explain a math concept, probably YouTube is where you want to go and itís free. If you are looking for both and licensed teachers and not just anyone uploading a video, then you may want to give Lernsys Homeschooling Academic Video Courses a look.