Debating homeschooling in Michigan
    Savannah3275 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Debating homeschooling in Michigan

Hello,

My name is Debbie and Im (step)mom to 5 children. My concern is with my second son Devon. Devon is having a rough time in school, mainly socially. He doesnt seem to know how to act with peers his age and this causes him a lot of bullying and teasing. He also had writing/spelling difficulties that make 4th grade work tough for him. Currently, we're jumping through the referral hoops to have him tested at U of M department of pediatric psychology and nuerology, both to address the social problems (my mother thinks he may be slightly autistic) and the learning difficulties (he's alreayd been diagnosed with ADD, they also want to test him for writing and gross motor dyspraxia).

Ive been turning over the idea of homeschooling him for a couple weeks now. My sister lives in Florida and homeschools ger 12 year old using Time4learning. She loves the program and her daughter is really excelling. I think that without the social aspect making him an emotional wreck and the benefit of one on one teaching, he could really make better progress than what he has beenin public school.

Ok, my questions...Ive read over the homeschooling laws in Michigan: Am I reading it write that unless you have a religious objection to credited instructors, that you cant homeschool your own child? I do not have a teaching degree, though i am resonably smart and feel entirely capable of homeschooling at least the rest of elementary school.

Also, if I were to pull him out of public school, once all his testing goes through and we have a good idea of what his problem areas are and maybe a diagnoses, would he still be able to recieve PT/OT services through the school, provided he needs them and is being homeschooled?

Any info you could give me would be great...Im still in the researching phase, but Im leaning heavily towards using t4l to homeschool, I just want to make sure all my ducks are lined up before moking the final decision and acting on it.

Thanks,
    Debbie
    Garden City, Mi

Happy Farmer is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Debating homeschooling in Michigan

Dear Debbie,

I also live in MI. It is one of the easiest states to HS. All I had to do was fill out a form with our local truant officer, stating that I was homeschooling. Although I am new to HS. I say do it!

Good luck,

Karen

miinjune is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Debbie,

I just saw your post. Did you decide to homeschool? Michigan is one of the easiest states to school in and you actually do not have to choose a reason in Michigan unless the state gets involved. I'm sure you've found this out by now. Hope things are progressing well for you.

June

Syd'sMom is offline Member

We homeschool in Van Buren County. Our school asked if my daughter would come to the public school for four days a year (their count days) so they could get funding for her. We do that. She takes her laptop and air card and does her T4L curriculum and sits at the public school for four days a year and they are happy to let her use any resources there we want. She can use the library or take a class for the year, part of the year, a few days a week - whatever we want. She wanted to do the gymnastics unit in gym, but not the rest of the year. They told me when it would start and end and that's when she was there. Maybe you could ask your school for something like that if there are some services you want access to. Hope it's going well.

Syd'sMom

Syd'sMom is offline Member

We homeschool in Van Buren County. Our school asked if my daughter would come to the public school for four days a year (their count days) so they could get funding for her. We do that. She takes her laptop and air card and does her T4L curriculum and sits at the public school for four days a year and they are happy to let her use any resources there we want. She can use the library or take a class for the year, part of the year, a few days a week - whatever we want. She wanted to do the gymnastics unit in gym, but not the rest of the year. They told me when it would start and end and that's when she was there. Maybe you could ask your school for something like that if there are some services you want access to. Hope it's going well.

Syd'sMom