Hello and Welcome!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: Hello and Welcome!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Hello and Welcome!

Time4Learning is happy to provide a forum for homeschoolers in individual states to connect with one another. Please use this forum to find members near you, ask each other Michigan-specific questions (like homeschool laws, playing sports within the school system, etc.), and post information about local homeschool events.
    MiMom likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

MiMom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Hello and Welcome!

Hello I am new on here and I am brand new to homeschooling my 13 year old 8th grader. He was having some major bullying issues at his Junior High that was started and encouraged by a football coach at the beginning of the year because he did not have the proper equipment for the football team and my son started getting isolated from the team because he did not have a helmet he had to miss his first game then it all went downhill from there I had to actually email the superintendent of Utica Community schools in the state that I live about that coach and from then my son's school days just went to hell so I pulled him out yesterday after another incident in the lunchroom and now I really really need some advice on how to start him in homeschooling as soon as possible please please help I'm so lost

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hello and Welcome!

Hi! Time4Learning has coined a term for families in your situation: "Accidental Homeschoolers".

These are families who suddenly find themselves needing to homeschool, without having ever thought it was something they would do.

Time4Learning is a great choice for newbies. Don't worry about him missing a week or so of school while you set up a plan for him. It's called "de-schooling", and it's often a great way to transition from a stressful public school situation to homeschooling. Most parents set some limits during this time. For example, they can read, do arts and crafts or build things, work on Scout badges or 4H, watch educational videos, cook, keep a journal, engage in active things like taking walks (or mowing the lawn! ), or whatever they want except that screen time is usually limited.

You might be interested in the Welcome to Homeschooling guide.

We hosted a webinar about beginning homeschooling mid-year, which was recorded and is available on YouTube: Beginning Homeschooling Mid-Year

You might be interested in the following two articles:

How Long is a Homeschool Day?

Homeschool or School at Home?

Using Time4Learning to Homeschool in Michigan

Finally, if you don't already know Michigan's homeschool laws, here they are with my comments. (Disclaimer: I'm just a homeschool mom with some experience interpreting homeschool laws. We aren't attorneys and homeschool laws change often, so you should know and understand your state's homeschool laws yourself.)

Parents who are teaching their own children at home under the homeschool statute are required to use an organized educational program covering the subject areas of reading, spelling, mathematics, science, history, civics, literature, writing, and English grammar. The statute does not require parents to notify local government or education authorities that they are homeschooling. The statute specifically notes that parents are authorized to give home instruction.

While Michigan specifies that certain subjects must be taught, it does not dictate the content of those subjects and every, single subject doesn't need to be taught every, single year. For example, history could be American history . . . World history . . . history of the Westward Movement in America . . . Medieval history . . . or whatever you wish. (It's a great idea to do American history at some point, but legally it's all up to you.) Literature could be simply reading books of their choice, focusing on classic children's literature, reading short selections from books and answering questions about them, or anything you design yourself.

Do know that the curriculum used by Time4Learning covers all of the required subjects and then some.

There is a second option in Michigan's homeschool laws, which is to set yourself up as a private school. Requirements are similar, but there are a few reporting requirements that most families probably won't want to deal with if they don't have to.

I hope this helps get you off and running! Please check back and let us know how you are doing.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!