Homeschooling other children
    Maddysmom309 Guest

Default Homeschooling other children

Has anyone ever homeschooled anyone other than their own child? Did you charge the parents for teaching their child? Have them pay for books? How do breaks work if you go this route or absences and make up work. Any insight you could offer would be great! I have a few friends who were interested in having me teach their child with mine and just wasn't sure how that typically goes. Thanks in advance for any info. 😊

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Homeschooling other children

Hi.

Almost all states restrict homeschooling to the child's parent or legal guardian. BUT! That doesn't keep them from hiring a piano teacher and calling that "music class" or considering Little League to be "P.E. Class", or hiring a math tutor, even though the actual teaching is done by someone else.

It just means the parent is responsible for signing any forms the state requires and they are responsible for seeing that the state's homeschool laws are followed.

I would avoid offering to "homeschool" someone else's children. I might offer myself as a tutor to homeschooled children instead. The parent will need to be sure any forms the state required are filed and that any required testing is completed.

In Michigan, families are quite free to homeschool without notifying the school district or giving their children any standardized tests. It's a good idea to keep great records, though, just in case someone should report them for educational neglect. Even if the parents have hired someone else to teach their child, THEY remain responsible for proving there is no educational neglect.

Homeschool laws usually don't require anything of the person teaching the student except that they be the student's parent. (A very few states require the parent to have at least a GED.) No further qualifications are needed because the theory is that parents are uniquely qualified to teach THEIR OWN children. Again, that doesn't mean they aren't also qualified to realize when a third party might be useful to help them out!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Robin is offline Senior Member

I did. But it will depend on your state's laws.
    I charged the parents for care during the day and they purchased all of the curricula.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I'll pop back in to share some more practical experience. I tutored my nephew, too (using Time4Learning, mostly!). I decided which lessons to use, graded the worksheets and writing assignments, and printed a weekly report for my brother and sister-in-law. My brother reimbursed me for the lessons, but I didn't charge them for teaching my nephew along with my own kids. I researched their state's laws (they live just five miles from me, but it's another state), and I prepared the notification papers for their school district, but my brother signed them. I arranged for their son to have the required testing, but my brother signed the release forms and the results were mailed to him. Any communications from the school district were sent to him.

After reading Robin's post, I realized that it sometimes helps to read about others' practical experience instead of just "the law".

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!