How do I go about registering my 5 yo (preschool) and 3 yo for home school in Mi?
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Unregistered Guest

    Question How do I go about registering my 5 yo (preschool) and 3 yo for home school in Mi?

    I am trying to figure out the process for beginning homeschool officially and properly and covering all my necessary bases. Currently my 5 yo is only just beginning school (we held off as long as possible after we took him out of public preschool until he showed us he was ready and interested just this month). He is currently learning to write his abc's, and writing numbers, thinking skills and learning the various sounds of letters, coloring in the lines, linking like activities/objects and such. We predict my another month he should be moving onto two letter words and such. I fear this is very far behind, but it is what he understands and is able to grasp. My 3 yo is also learning but no real book work, just nursery rhymes, learning numbers, knows his alphabet and practicing it, naming objects and activities, animals, colors and learning to color within the lines. No real subject work, so I don't know if that would be considered preschool or pre-preschool(headstart) etc?

    I just need to know who to call, where to go to register them, what proof or documents I'd need and how exactly to go about it or where to find this information in a less complicated, vague and slightly scattered way then I've found so far (states official website). Also, would like to know your opinions on whether the ages of my children and the consecutive levels of learning they are comfortably at right now will become an issue with the state and registering? Also, will I have to register them for the next grade by the same time school lets out (deadline) or do I have the freedom to do so earlier or later throughout their homeschooling?

    Thank you to anyone who answers.

  2. #2
    Unregistered Guest

    Thumbs up Answer

    I got this from a site referencing the state law regarding the registering, reporting and basically the official way to start homeschooling in MI. Thought I'd post it here for anyone who looks over this thread for an answer.

    According to the current state law regarding homeschooling as a homeschool parent as referenced on this site;
    Michigan Homeschooling Laws - Homeschool Legally in MI | A2Z Homeschooling

    Families choosing to home school under exemption (3)(f) are not required to do any type of reporting to any school official. If you are sent a SM4325 form, you do not have to return it or make any type of response. The MDE has stated that, “If the home school family has not registered, the Department will consider the home school family to be operating under the exemption (f) solely.” There is also no law requiring that any information be provided to the local or intermediate school district. Therefore, a home school existing under (3)(f) has no responsibility to provide any information to local school officials.

    To begin a home education program you simply begin home schooling. You do NOT have to ask permission, get a license or even a permit. You do NOT have to request a Non-Public School Membership Reporting Form (form SM4325). You must provide your children instruction in the subject areas of Reading, Spelling, Mathematics, Science, History, Civics, Literature, Writing and English Grammar.”

    Read the entire article on the site to get further information regarding the subject and law in MI.

  3. #3
    Unregistered Guest

    Default Thank you!

    Thank you very much for the informative response!!

  4. #4
    greenfrogger is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015


    You really don't need to do anything - but if your child received special services from their local school then there's a form that would need to be filled out.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2016


    Check out HSLDA (Homeschool Legal Defense Association). You can google them and find their website and it will have information for homeschool and laws for each state Michigan is one of the best states to homeschool in because there is really nothing extra you have to do... just use the program here or buy them a workbook of your choice
    HSLDA is a great resource to have if you decide for a membership just in case some problem does arise. You're $100 annual fee covers all legal cost and you have a lawyer at your back whenever you need. Check it out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts