Living Overseas

Thread: Living Overseas

Jean Smith Guest

Default Living Overseas

Hello!! SUPER new to homeschooling. I have curriculum all set up and ready to go for my K, 2nd, and 7th grader. But, I am still so confused on what to do for my 9th grader. We are living overseas for the 2014-2015 school year and need an online school for him. If I am understanding correctly, he HAS to have an accredited school program in order to get high school credit, is that correct? And does anyone have any online schools they could recommend that I'm not going to have to spend the $2500-5000 that I am seeing online? THANK YOU!!!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi there! Glad you found us!

I can't be sure about overseas laws (if you are there for military/missionary/etc. work, are you still listed as being a resident of a state in the US?), but homeschoolers graduate and go to college all the time with high school credit they received outside of an accredited program. I guess it depends really on what they want to do after high school. Some universities prefer accredited programs, but even those have made exceptions based on test scores and other factors.

Time4Learning has an excellent online high school program, and it runs about $30-$35 per month per student. It's not accredited, but again...sometimes that word "accredited" is overrated. Also, you should check out LetsHomeschoolHighschool.com. Tons of homeschooling high school resources.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!