New to homeschooling a high schooler! Starting at 10th grade.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: New to homeschooling a high schooler! Starting at 10th grade.

Joannkrouse Guest

Red face New to homeschooling a high schooler! Starting at 10th grade.

This is so overwhelming! Making this decision was not easy but necessary. My stress comes from
    The fact that I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing. I have my 17 year old on the required classes and he does five activities a day for two subjects on mondays and Wednesdays then five activities on the other two subjects the other two days. On Friday he is learning the Spanish from a Rosetta Stone program. I feel I need to do more, like his teachers did. I even had him wake up at 6am just like his school did. I feel I need to give him homework and tests but I'm not sure if I should attempt to teach the subjects prior to giving him tests that I make up or purchase online from several sources. I also have a large fear of him not meeting new friends or his first girlfriend.☺️ As soon as his friends from school learned he was being homeschooled they just stopped talking to him. I'm not sure what I'm doing, the only thing I'm sure of is I needed to pull him out of the public school system. He's sweet, mature and so smart but just had such anxiety going to public school. For years we tried everything and this is our only solution. Any advice would be appreciated Hope everyone is having a successful go at homeschooling!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New to homeschooling a high schooler! Starting at 10th grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Joannkrouse View Post
    This is so overwhelming! Making this decision was not easy but necessary. My stress comes from
    The fact that I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing. I have my 17 year old on the required classes and he does five activities a day for two subjects on mondays and Wednesdays then five activities on the other two subjects the other two days. On Friday he is learning the Spanish from a Rosetta Stone program. I feel I need to do more, like his teachers did. I even had him wake up at 6am just like his school did. I feel I need to give him homework and tests but I'm not sure if I should attempt to teach the subjects prior to giving him tests that I make up or purchase online from several sources. I also have a large fear of him not meeting new friends or his first girlfriend.☺️ As soon as his friends from school learned he was being homeschooled they just stopped talking to him. I'm not sure what I'm doing, the only thing I'm sure of is I needed to pull him out of the public school system. He's sweet, mature and so smart but just had such anxiety going to public school. For years we tried everything and this is our only solution. Any advice would be appreciated Hope everyone is having a successful go at homeschooling!
    Hi, Joann. It sounds like you're second-guessing yourself. On one hand, you say that the decision was necessary, you needed to remove him from public school, and this is your only solution. On the other hand, you say you aren't sure you're doing the right thing. It might help if you decide you're certain this is the right decision . . . for now! You don't have to be sure this is the best fit for him, but you can still be sure it's time to give an alternative a try.

Homeschooling is much more time efficient than traditional school. Remember, you aren't taking time out for roll call, announcements, and other crowd-management things. Your student can also just go right on to the next subject without waiting for the end of a designated class period. In public school, if there's just a short test or other brief activity scheduled for a subject, which the student finishes early, he or she still needs to sit there and kill time "until the bell rings".

It sounds like your son is doing the average amount of work per day for a high school student. Be sure you look at his reports every day, and check for worksheets or writing assignments the parent needs to grade. Remember that Time4Learning is not a school; it is a homeschool curriculum, so the parent is principal and teacher and directs their child's education. It's so much easier using a program like Time4Learning than teaching "from scratch", though!

Homeschool parents eventually lose their public school mindset and develop a "homeschool" mindset. "School hours" are a public-school idea. Many, many homeschool families do school in the evening after Mom or Dad gets home from work, take the entire month of December off for the holidays, or have their student work on lessons whenever he or she chooses, as long as it's all done by the end of the day (or any number of other scheduling ideas). Studies show that teens do not get enough sleep, and even schools are experimenting with starting later, so there's no need to make your child get up at six a.m. just because public schools do it that way.

Homework is definitely a public-school invention. All of homeschooling is done at home, so how can there be homework?

You don't need to worry about tests, because they are built in to the Time4Learning high school curriculum. When checking your student's reports, compare the reports to the scope and sequence or to the Activity Plan you generated before he began, so you know he isn't skipping tests and quizzes.

I hope this has eased your mind somewhat. Please let us know if you have any questions at all. That's what this forum is for!
    Joyfulmama and thunt like this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Unregistered Guest

Default Re: New to homeschooling a high schooler! Starting at 10th grade.

What area are you in?