new to homeschooling in Michigan, any advice?
    ltaylor2513 Guest

Default new to homeschooling in Michigan, any advice?

Hi, my daughter is 12 ( 6th grade ) and has hated public school since day one! She is such a bright smart girl, that is falling behind in the public school system. She has med. diagnosed add & anxiety that the schools have not been willing to work with. I now have pulled her out, because i just see emotional damage happening that has 100 % affected her learning potentials! I have joined time4learning to finish out the school yr. ( 6th grade ) my main question is- do you guys use just time4learning for a homeschool program & how many hours a day would be good? Thank you, Lisa

Unregistered Guest

Default Homeschool

Hi I am a parent of a 2nd grader and i am experiencing the same thing with my son. He is diagnosed ADHD, Mood disorder...and it seems like the school is making it worser!.I refuse to give my son all these drugs and i am going to start homeschooling in September of 2011..I am so nervous but it something i have to do!. Ms Stewart

araspolic is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New as well

Hi Lisa, I don't have much advice for you, but I can relate to where you're at. My son is 10, and a really bright boy, but he's also hated school since day one. He was diagnosed at age 7 as having O.D.D. and anxiety, but has come a really long way with overcoming some of his major issues. I've had a lot of problems with his school this year, and he seemed to be regressing back to behavior I haven't seen in almost two years. So, I decided to pull him out and home school him for the remainder of the year. I've been doing a lot of online searching, and there really doesn't seem to be a whole lot of support groups in Michigan, well in my area anyway. I came across a site that gave me the minimum cirrciulum guidelines, but for the life of me, I can't find it again. If you are able to come up with any information about if there's other home schooling plans I should look into, advice would be greatly appreciated. Good Luck with it all! Angie

Janel is offline Junior Member

I just joined the forum and found this thread. I'm in Michigan and have been thinking about homeschooling my youngest son due to the same thing that you are all talking about. Instead of the school helping it's doing more harm and I'm frustrated with their lack of options for a child with adhd. (my son hasn't been diagnosed by a doctor but the school counselor has evaluated him and we've known forever that he's different than our other three children and everyone we talk to that deals with adhd can mirror the same things we go thru with our son) Anyways, he's 10 and in fourth grade and I worry about him going into fifth grade next fall. It just seems like day after day he gets into trouble because he won't sit still or won't stand against a wall for recess (punishment for not sitting still in class) and he's just frustrated every day instead of enjoying school like he should. So I'm in the same boat as all of you, just started out on the homeschooling journey and looking for resources to help. If anyone is interested in pooling ideas and resources I'm open for some group efforts....lol

4mykids is offline Junior Member Newbie

Lisa, Hopefully you have found answers to your questions. I just started the summer work, but I did school my children at home before this. I think what I like about this program is that you concentrate on skills and and not on time maybe?

I used the planning sheet. I think we have to do two math lessons a day and one of everything else. I am just going to see how far they both go.

I think the Math and LA programs through T4L are comprehensive, but not for science, social studies or history. If you are planning, you need to make sure to supplement at least those subject areas I think.....anyone else?