pls help! referral to child svcs for homeschooling
    Unregistered Guest

Exclamation pls help! referral to child svcs for homeschooling

My ex-husband is calling child svcs to report me for not sending our 6 yr old daughter to school. The police have been here once already and I have received a call from the oakland county truant officer. My question is, since there are no reporting requirements in MI, what, if anything, am I required to prove to the authorities with regards to home schooling my daughter, if they show up at my door? What burden of proof do they have? Is there any chance they could find legal grounds to remove my child from my care, even just pending an investigation? Any info or advice would be really appreciated, I am freaking out right now, terrified they could show up at my door at any time and that I won't know what to say or do.
    Thank you!

Unregistered Guest

Default Homeschooling Michigan

Michigan is a very friendly homeschool state and there is no required reporting or testing. Here is a link to the State of Michigan and what they recommend.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ho...s_122555_7.pdf

A truancy office can not pull your child from your home for homeschooling. If there are other issues there then that is a different matter but not for homeschooling.

For more information, Google homeschooling in Michigan and you can find lots of information.

dfetterhoff is offline Junior Member Newbie

hows it going? I'm a new homeschooling parent and I was worried about if I had to show any documents to the school when I pulled my daughter out of the public school to prove that I was home schooling

Unregistered Guest

HSLDA: Homeschooling Advocates since 1983 will give you the exact HS laws

Michigan is quite simple

However, keep in mind, that if you and your ex husband have JOINT legal custody --- then you are legally supposed to agree on major decisions re: education, medical, and etc. If you cannot agree then yes, the courts can step in.

amyfarren is offline Junior Member Newbie

Was your daughter in school before? If so you should contact her school and tell them you are homeschooling. You don't have to provide anything to anyone. but T4L does provide progress reports and scores that can be printed so if you need to show your ex that she is learning that may be helpful. Good luck.