Virtual k-12 vs. Homeschooling, my soon to be 4th grader, but scared that i'll fail
    Unregistered Guest

Default Virtual k-12 vs. Homeschooling, my soon to be 4th grader, but scared that i'll fail

Hi everyone, I tried homeschooling when my grandson was in 2nd grade, in the last two months of that year, just because of the bad things he was learning from his peers, and also the bullying, and constant complaints from his teacher who blamed everything on him.
    I went out and tried to find books for 2 and 3rd graders, I guess I figured if I could get him just a little ahead of his class that he would be ok. I managed to do ok for that 2 months, but in the fall I sent him back to Public school, because my husband kept making me feel like I wasn't doing what I should be, so for his sake I sent him back.

My concern then and now, is keeping him on track in the case that if something were to happen to me, and he had to go back to a public school, would he be way behind.
    I don't have a lot of money for tutors and any extras, so the books I used were from like staples and walmart, stuff like that, but it was the common core, that to me seemed crazy, I didn't even unerstand how to teach some of it. That's when I checked out the K12, but it seemed more a hassel than anything.

So I guess my question is, have any of you ever had this problem that you start homeschooling and after a few years for whatever reason, you had to send them back to public school, how did it go, were they way behind in certian subjects, and how do you know what to teach him at each stage, semesters, or grade level? Also if any of you have tried the K12 and how did that go?

Robin is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Virtual k-12 vs. Homeschooling, my soon to be 4th grader, but scared that i'll fa

Are you using Time4Learning? I don't think you'll have this issue if you are. My children went back to school for a year and a half. They were well ahead of their peers. Unfortunately, one of my daughters got scolded for knowing things that the teacher had not taught yet. They used Time4Learning at that time.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Virtual k-12 vs. Homeschooling, my soon to be 4th grader, but scared that i'll fa

I will second Robin's opinion. My kids have used Time4Learning since 2016. The first four were ready for college at 16, 17, 16, and 16.

Of course, there will be some adjustment whenever a student changes schools or curriculum . . . even switching from one public school to another. Even in subjects where common core applies, like math and language arts, schools are free to present the information in any order they want and they can adjust how in-depth they want to go. In science and social studies, where there are no common core standards, they will all have their own ideas about what to teach when. Since those subject areas are so broad, there's no consistency from school to school.

I would probably worry less about my own kids changing from Time4Learning to public school than about them changing from one public school to another.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!