Your child can do sports thru public schools in Michigan!
    aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

Default Your child can do sports thru public schools in Michigan!

Did you know that it is a law in Michigan and 17 other states that your local public school has to allow your homeschooled child to participate in sports!
    Check it out via this link!
    Allowing Homeschooled Kids to Play Sports in Public Schools

novo4 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Actually they can participate in electives. Being allowed to participate in sports is up to the school district and very few agree to it.
    http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000000/00000048.asp

Syd'sMom is offline Member

I looked at both links. I'm really confused. My son took math and science at ps one year. I don't consider those electives. Should the school system have not allowed it? What is considered an elective? My daughter is taking art this year. Our school lets them do whatever I ask.

novo4 is offline Junior Member Newbie

My sons school allowed him to take a science course for 1 semester(10th grade) then pulled him from the second half saying they were told they were not allowed to let him take the core classes even though the science he was taking wasn't a required science in our district. I think the school messed up allowing him to take it but he still has the credit from it.

Syd'sMom is offline Member

This was driving me crazy so I asked our PS counselor. He is who I work with whenever the kids want to do anything at PS. He said they can allow my kids to do whatever they want as long as they come to the school for the four count days. We have done that as a courtesy to the school so they can get our kids' funding. He told me if we wanted to participate in sports, we have to take at least one class at the PS during that season. I asked if that was local policy or dictated by the state. He said he didn't know but he was sure our district could work something out. I think they do whatever they want. They want my kids' state funding and my son's standardized test scores. We live in a very small district. Maybe they have just never been caught before. I would be upset if they put one of my kids in a class and then removed them halfway through the year.

aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

I am glad that you asked them personally! Gives you better insight into what your district allows. I am sure each State interprets the federal homeschooling laws/guidelines differently as well as each district within each State, so you did the right thing by checking with the district where your children live!