I would like to homeschool but do not know where to start.
    Unregistered Guest

Default I would like to homeschool but do not know where to start.

I am a military wife and mother of 5 I am trying to figure out how to get registered and started with homeschooling my son who is going to be four! I would like to do this in August. I can't seem to get any help on the post I am on. Everyone just says that you do your thing and no one ever checks in on you so you don't have to worry about registering. I don't feel comfortable with this. I am in Germany and really want to do it the correct way. Do i need to follow the rules of our home of record or is there a place for just military to register? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Navymom is offline Member

Hi there! I hope I can help

Being overseas on Military orders does exempt you from host country laws but you would still need to follow any specific base policies. My recommendation would be for you to start by reading the DODEA Policy on Homeschooling first so that you know what the Military's stance is homeschooling. Thankfully, it is not only recognized as a viable option for families, but also accepted. You will follow the "rules" of where ever you are located. Overseas, you follow this instruction and any additional specific base requirements. Stateside, you would follow the "rules" of whatever state you are residing in.

Next, please contact DODEA Europe to see if there are any specific base policies that you must adhere to. I am in Japan and they only require you to register if you would like to take advantage of any of the school's resources, such as extra curricular classes. Itis your choice to participate in standardized tests or keep portfolios. I do keep records, but it is mostly for myself and in the off chance that intruction changed and they needed to be reviewed.

Last, branch out to local homeschooling co-ops or groups. I have begun designing a thread called Military Base Homeschool Groups for here on this forum to help overseas Military families get information on these groups. Currently, I have found 6 groups in Germany and have them listed as links so that you can click on their page and inquire with them for information. There are also other helpful threads on the Military forum that you may find useful. Here is a great Facebook Page called Homeschoolers in the Military that has started to provide valuable information and support to Military homeschooling families.

Last, start researching learning/teaching styles and curriculum. We personally use T4L as our primary curriculum and it fits well with our Military lifestyle because it is easy, convenient and fun! You can also look below in my signature and access my blog to see how our family is homeschooling while overseas

Good luck and please check out these resources and let me know if I can help you with anything else! Thank you so much
    Last edited by Navymom; 04-25-2012 at 06:54 PM.
    Shannon
    Follow our adventures as a Military home schooling family at
    Ramblings of a (not so) Desperate Housewife

Unregistered Guest

Default homeschooling in Germany

Hi, I am also starting homeschool in Germany. I am at Bamberg. I don't know where you are at or if it is different by post here but I was told that we only needed to register with the school if we wanted to use their resources or for extra curricular classes. There seems to be a sizable group here that homeschools and they have extra curricular classes for just the homeschoolers here. The meet for weekly art, gym, choir, and German classes and there may be more that I am forgetting. I am also starting to homeschool and Time 4 Learning for the first time this year. Shortly after I moved here, I inquired online about homeschool groups in Germany and found one in K-town. They were very responsive to my questions and they were even having a curriculum swap at their next meeting, unfortunately I couldn't drive here yet and it was also several hours away. There are many military homeschooling families in Germany, and so far they all seem to do their own thing, whatever works for them. One of the big things that was suggested to me was to join HSLDA.