1st time homeschooler
    kaemac3 Guest

Default 1st time homeschooler

I am new to homeschooling and am having so much trouble deciding how to begin. I am the type of person who needs all ducks in a row. Having a curriculum to follow and to tell me what to do sounds great, but I don't think I want to go that way. I am afraid parts of it wouldn't work. If I pick from lots of different things, I won't feel organized. Is online a good way to go. I just don't know what to do. I am sure all of you felt the same way in the beginning. I would love to hear your opinions!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi there, and welcome! Yes, I can relate to what you are feeling...I felt so lost and so overwhelmed when I first jumped into homeschooling. The first thing I would recommend is this Welcome to Homeschooling guide. It's well worth your time to read, with a lot of good info.

Second thing I would tell you, is to pace yourself in your quest for information, lol. There is SO much info out there, especially online. If you think you are overwhelmed now, wait until you see a gazillion google search results staring at you. I'm not saying don't take advantage of the world wide web or anything. Just don't try to apply everything you read to your situation. Remember that you know your children better than anyone, and regardless of what others may say, there is no right or wrong way to homeschool.

One last recommendation is to check out Getting started with Time4Learning. This will hopefully help you figure out the site a little more, and give you some idea about how you might use it with your kiddos.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

MNorthe is offline Junior Member

Howdy,

It's hard to get a handle on the major decisions without a clear vision. Ask yourself where you want to go with homeschooling. Usually, if you decide it's an option, there is some positive expectation of what the end result may look like. Also, it's important to identify the pros and cons of any curriculum ideas based on the child's personality and abilities. Then by further assessing your availble resources (books, courses, other people, learning tools) and investments (time, money) and how they align with your vision, the boundaries are formed and you can hone in and get organized fairly easily. It's not a leap off the deep end, but rather a planned trip to a specific destination.

Ok, so that sounds like a business plan, but it works pretty well for many situations

Take your time sifting thru the massive amounts of information to find those things that excite and interest you.