Kindergarten registration - mandatory in St. Paul - 625?
    Unregistered Guest

Question Kindergarten registration - mandatory in St. Paul - 625?

Hi everyone,
    we're moving to St Paul from another state next year. Do I understand it correctly that everyone at the age of 5 has to be registered at the kindergarten or homeschool?
    If so, how do I register my child for homeschooling for the time she turns 5?
    Thank you!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi there and welcome! According to these Minnesota homeschool laws, the age of compulsory attendance is 7 to 16 years of age. So that means that you don't need to notify the school board that you are homeschooling until October 1st (more specifically by Oct 1) of the first school year after a child has reached age seven, unless of course you just want to.

Once you are ready to let the state know that you are homeschooling, you should be able to go to this site to find out how to submit your letter of intent: http://education.state.mn.us/MDE/JustParent/SchChoice/

Hope that helped! Please, always feel free to ask any questions that you may have.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Unregistered Guest

Red face clarification

Hi There,
    Thank you SO much for your answer.
    I would like to have some clarification. I've just talked with someone from Saint Paul enrollment services. I was told that yes, it's mandatory for St Paul and Como Area in particular to require that a child who turns 5 year old enrolls into the Kindergarten.

Now, I only hope to do homeschooling for the kindergarten time, which is 5-6. Does it mean that I don't have to let anyone know that I am homeschooling and that I won't be liable for that?

How does the process of enrolling into a regular public school then works once I stop homeschooling? Say a child turns 6 at the end of May 2015, and then goes to a regular public school - won't they come after me with all the questions as to where have your child been all these years? Why don't you have all the records of your child enrolled in any form of official institution?

If I homeschool at the kindergarten age, do I keep any particular form of class schedules, copies of materials used for instruction and description of method used to assess student achievement?

What about early childhood screening? Do I need to have a copy of that as well?

Thank you so very much for all your support!

Blog Entries

I won't say that the person you spoke with lied, but maybe they are mistaken? I even pulled a pdf of frequently asked questions directly from the Minnesota DoE and it also states that you should turn in your letter of intent by Oct 1 of the school year that your child turns 7. This is state law. Again, maybe your school board was mistaken?

Having said that...there is a caveat to that. If your child has already been enrolled in K or 1st grade in the public school system, prior to turning 7, and you pull them out of the public school system, prior to them turning 7, then there cannot be a break in their education. Meaning you would be required by law to homeschool K or 1st grade. But that is only if they were already enrolled and you pulled them. If they have yet to be enrolled, then you could technically wait until 7.

I'm not saying you shouldn't begin your homeschooling at the K/1st grade level. I homeschooled my Kindergarten aged son. I just didn't turn in my letter of intent until he was the right age...I just didn't want to deal with the extra paperwork until it was absolutely necessary, lol.

To answer your questions, they should not come after you if you enroll your child at a later date. You simply tell them you were homeschooling. I honestly have no experience with re-enrolling kiddos back into public school, so I can't tell you what that process involves. It could be as easy as them looking over whatever records you kept with what your child learned at home in K, or it could entail something like a placement exam before placing your child in a certain grade level.

If you do homeschool through K and/or 1st, I would definitely keep any records/reports/etc. That way you do have something to show them when they ask.
    Katie

Unregistered Guest

Thank you SO much for your prompt response! You have no idea how much I appreciate it!
    I am very new to this. My child has not been enrolled in any public school/educational institution before.

We're hoping to move to the Camo Area of Saint Paul. School district is #625, I believe.

Blog Entries

You're very welcome! Good luck! Please check back with us and let us know how things are going for you guys!
    Katie