New to this in Northern MN
    KDL
    KDL is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to this in Northern MN

Hello! Just wanted to know anyones thoughts on this homeschooling adventure! I have a 4th grader and an 8th grader. I am thinking of homeschooling my 4th grader for a few different reasons, I will not mention all of them but one of them is that she has fallen behind in Math. She has become a pretty good reader but still needs improvement there too as well as spelling. I am a teacher and have worked in the public schools and I am just thinking that homeschooling might be something I would like to try with my daughter. I do not want her to get lost in the system. What are your thoughts and I would like some from teachers out there too, if possible. This is scary for me to even consider! What is the cost? Just curious! And thank you to anyone who addresses my question!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi there, and welcome! When we first set out to homeschool in 2005, it was terrifying for me. But we found our groove and things started to work themselves out...I'm sure the same will happen for you.

Since I am a homeschooler, I definitely will advocate for homeschooling. I know it's not for everyone, but if you really feel like it could be the best for your daughter, then it will be. I would like to suggest you take a look at Time4Learning's Getting Started with Homeschooling Guide. Even if you haven't made the decision to homeschool yet, it can be a hugely beneficial read. Lots of great info, but not overwhelming either. Another suggestion is to go to our Minnesota Homeschooling Resources page. Here you should able to find things like state laws pertaining to home education, info about homeschool groups,etc.

As for the cost, it's $19.95 per month for the first child, $14.95 per month for each child thereafter. Really affordable, compared to many online programs out there.

I hope that I have helped, at least a little. Please come back with any questions you may or anything. Looking forward to seeing how things are going for you and your daughter...
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

aveljeda Guest

Thumbs up Northern MN Where?

Hello! I am a "northern" MN homeschooling parent of a 4th grade girl-would love to know where you are located?

I am sure the idea of homeschooling is scary for you-it can DEFINITELY by overwhelming to see all the curriculums and philosophies out there. It is best to tailor it to what fits your lifestyle and you and your daughter's comfort level and personality. Just start asking questions, as you are, is the best approach. There are homeschool groups, coops and families that gather very informally also. We are involved in a homeschool group in Brainerd.

Let us know how it goes for you!