Not-Back-To-School? :)
    katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Not-Back-To-School? :)

It's that time of year again!

Back to school time is when we stock up on supplies and get everything ready for our upcoming school year. For homeschoolers, this may be a little different than the public schoolers, lol. Do you guys have any back to school, or "not back to school," plans to kick off your new year?

For this year, is anyone doing anything different from last year? Joining a new local support group or co-op? What about record keeping...do you have a favorite planner or program for putting together your portfolios?

Please share!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Blog Entries

Minnesota doesn't have the tax free weekend sales that so many states have. So, besides the regular back to school sales, are there any ways you guys are finding to save a little more money? Any coupon sites or anything that you have found?
    Katie

MNorthe is offline Junior Member

Hi There. I am new to this forum and to MN so I am kind of a fish out of water at the moment even though I have been homeschooling for 4 years. During the year, I usually sink (into savings) the amount of money I plan to spend on books and learning items so that the amounts I want are available in August and in May for use. We usually pick up and drop off different studies rather unceremoniously so even though formal schools are starting back soon, we never really have stopped (ebb and flow).

Before I left FL, I was well on my way to being quite good at extreme couponing, but I found out quickly after moving that it is not adventageous in my new location. I'd be interested in hearing about cost savings as well since I reckon we'll need boots and jackets soon... and probably full length pants... and I have no idea where to start.

Oh, and what exactly is a co-op?

Blog Entries

Hi and welcome! I wish I was good at couponing, but I am awful! Not only do I NOT find coupons for things we actually need, but I will find what I think is a great coupon and buy what that coupon is for...even though it wasn't something I would have bought without the coupon, lol.

As far as a cost effective way to buy clothes...we LOVE Goodwill. Hopefully you can find one in your area.

My definition of a co-op (and I could way off here, but I think I'm close, lol) is when you have a group of homeschooling families who get together and do classes that they wouldn't necessarily do on their own at home. Like art lessons, music lessons, P.E. ... things like that. Some co-ops do regular classes too however, especially higher grade level classes like sciences, where it might be beneficial to work in groups on labs, projects, etc. Some co-ops run with teachers/instructors that are not necessarily a homeschooling parent or member of the co-op. Some co-ops run with their members running the classes.
    Katie

MNorthe is offline Junior Member

Thx for the welcome and co-op explaination. We had tons of those in FL (just called "groups") but I could not find one to participate in because I work 50+ hrs a week from home and most of the activities are planned during the work-day on weekdays. My adjustment to that is extra-curricular activities (soccer, karate, dance, etc) that my daughter could participate in on the evenings and weekends and I'd gear her up in summer for learning camps (ie Sea World, Bush Gardens, MOSI, Zoo).

Prior to moving, a majority of clothes shopping was done at places like Goodwill or consignment as I enjoy restoring/repurposing recycled items and clothing. The closest store for that here is more than 20 miles away so far as I can tell. I've made a few friends in town, so maybe I will ask them to help me shop for cold weather clothes once we get into a "new normal" schedule. So far as I can tell, the only thing similarities between FL and MN is that they are both proper nouns!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MNorthe View Post
    So far as I can tell, the only thing similarities between FL and MN is that they are both proper nouns!
    Lol! Yeah, I can see how that transition would be...interesting...to say the least. Good luck with your shopping...
    Katie