Question about teacher competency exams
    kbreimeier is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Question about teacher competency exams

Hello all

My 7 year old is currently in second grade, but I am considering removing him for a whole host of problems associated with his current school. We live in a very small town so there are no other schooling options for him here, or reasonably nearby. I am about 30 credits from completely my B.A. and again, due to the small town, there is no college here or nearby for me to complete that. I am considering studying for and taking the teacher competency exam, however, I have been unable to find anywhere, exactly what they require. I assume I would most likely need to take the PRAXIS I and PRAXIS II for K-6 grade principles?

Thanks!
    -Kim

Genevieve is offline Member

It is not easy to track down is it?! You do not need to take the teacher competency exam, but then there is more reporting on your part and more testing on your son's part. If you do test, you need to take only what you are teaching.
    It is too late right now, but I would call Cindy Jackson at the Department of Education to make absolutely sure that you take the right test. She would know and it will be useful to document everything with her. Her phone number is 651-582-8572. Actually, here is the webpage with her email as well Minnesota Dept. of Education Homeschooling.
    I hope this helps! Please keep me posted on your journey!
    Genevieve
    mom to 4