4-H and Co-ops

Thread: 4-H and Co-ops

Olive is offline Member

Default 4-H and Co-ops

Just curious if anyone is involved with 4-H and what kind of things you did. I found this http://www.4-h.org/get-involved/find...amps-programs/

We are new to homeschooling and my son is only 4 but I would like to eventually get involved with something like 4-H.

I have also heard of Co-ops but again I don't know much, just what I have googled.
    Like this:
    What is a Homeschool Co-op?

and this: Field Trips of Mississippi - Homeschool Buyers Co-op

Does anyone have some personal experience with a co-op, how it works, how often you met, etc? I'm sure they all vary but insight from someone involved with one in MS would be interesting. Did you have to organize some of the events yourself?

Thanks for any feedback.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Olive you have just been a wealth of information here. I do not have any experience with 4-H. But I know it can be a great learning tool for kids. Coops all work differently. I know of one that hires teachers to teach the classes. They meet one day per week and offer classes all day long in topics ranging from musical instruments to drama to dance and all in between. The classes are each about one hour long. The parents are required to volunteer as a teacher's assistant for two hours each week. Or you can volunteer in an administrative capacity. Another coop the parents rotate in teaching. They only offer one subject. They meet on a weekly basis using the same subject each week for the school year. Another coop meets monthly. The parents take turns teaching. The subject taught is different each month. So you can see they all work differently. I hope you are able to find something near you that works for your family.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

littletfarms is offline Member

Default 4H

We have been involved in 4H for about 15 years. What county are you in? Your first step would be to contact your county agent. He/she should be able to tell you what groups and projects are going on in your county. With a child of that age, you are most likely looking for a cloverbud group. They are the younger children.
    Denise in MS
    Homeschooling 4 blessings for 14 years.
    DD93, DS95, DS98, DD00

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the advice Littletfarms. It's good to know.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Olive is offline Member

Thanks for the tip. Never heard the term cloverbud. Googled it and at least in one area it's for ages 5-8 so maybe something he could do as early as 5. We are in Holmes County. Where are you?

littletfarms is offline Member

We are in DeSoto County up by Memphis. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Holmes. I have friends not too far from there. But, they are in Rankin County.

Yes, Cloverbuds officially start at age 5. Some groups allow younger children to join them. It's not unusual to at least have younger siblings joining in.
    Denise in MS
    Homeschooling 4 blessings for 14 years.
    DD93, DS95, DS98, DD00