Accredited vs Unaccredited
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fairylover

Thread: Accredited vs Unaccredited

AngieLaspee is offline Junior Member

Default Accredited vs Unaccredited

I've heard that not using an accredited homeschool curriculum can cause problems down the line if I ever decide to put my children into a public school. Although I don't actually have any plans of doing so, I was wondering if anyone knows what the situation would be if I decided to switch from homeschooling to public school.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

If I understand it correctly, an accredited curriculum would be an actual school curriculum such as K-12 or another distance learning situation. An unaccredited curriculum would be a curriculum that meets state standards but is not a virtual school or distance learning center. Neither one should cause a problem if you decided to put your children back in school. If you were in an accredited distance learning program you would probably just transer in like you were coming from any other private school. I'm just a mom though. I'm not an attorney.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

AngieLaspee is offline Junior Member

Thanks. I guess it's best for me not to worry about it until and unless I decide to switch to public school. I had someone tell me that if I switched to an accredited public school from an unaccredited homeschool program, that my kids would have to start all over with Kindergarten, no matter what grade they were in. It had me a little worried.

Blog Entries

I know that that is not true. Some school districts will test your child to see where they need to be placed. Others will put them in at their age level and then move them up or down as needed. Others will just pur them in at the level you say they are doing.

The more I think about this question I have come to realize, curriculum is not accredited ever. Schools can be accredited but not curriculum. Time4Learning is a curriculum that meets most state standards.

littletfarms is offline Member

I will give a differing opinion, if that's OK My understanding of the law (again just a mom!) is that it is the institution that has to be accredited by the Mississippi State Department of Education. It is not possible for a homeschooler to be accredited by selection of curriculum.

The state department of education only recognizes schools accredited by themselves or the Mississippi Private School Association (MPSA). ANY other route, accredited or not, is not recognized by the Mississippi Dept of Education. If you child goes into a public school from an unrecognized school (including homeschooling), the public school has the right to test the child and place them in the grade level they deem appropriate.

That said, they may have tweaked the law a bit since I've look it up. But, I doubt it is much more lenient.
    Denise in MS
    Homeschooling 4 blessings for 14 years.
    DD93, DS95, DS98, DD00

I found this:

30. What procedures are followed when a student transfers from a home school program or a non-accredited school?

See accreditation standard 13 in MS Public School Accountability Standards.

When a student transfers from a home school program or private school that is not accredited by a regional agency or state board of education or its designee, the district must assess the student to determine the appropriate classification/placement.

The district must develop and adopt a policy that specifies the test (a teacher-made special subject test and/or standardized achievement test) that will be given and the criteria for determining placement/classification of the student.

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and its sister organizations are regional accrediting agencies.

See MS Code 37-15-33.

At least 5 days notice of the required test must be given to the student prior to administration of the test. All testing must be completed within 30 days from the date the student first presented for enrollment in the school.

No student may be assigned to a grade or class more than 3 grades above or below the grade or class that the student would have been assigned to if the pupil remained in the school from which the transfer is being made.

Pending the administration of the test, the superintendent or principal may assign the student temporarily to a grade and class comparable to that in which the student would have been had the pupil continued in the school from which the transfer is being made.
    Denise in MS
    DD93, DS95, DS98, DD00

Blog Entries

Thanks Denise. I think we are both saying the same thing. But it's always good to get another opinion. Us, "Just a Mom's" are pretty smart at figuring this stuff out aren't we?

Yes, we are It's really weird, because when I posted my first post on this thread, your comment stating you didn't think curriculum couldn't be accredited wasn't here. And Angie's second post wasn't here either. But, according to the time stamp you both obviously had already posted again before mine! (Twilight zone theme song going in my mind)

So, anyway, I apologize. I thought she had been left with some kind of accredited curriculum option when I posted that.
    Denise in MS
    DD93, DS95, DS98, DD00

Blog Entries

Don't ya love the cyber world. Things get lost in the ether and reappear later. I received an email this week that was sent out in June.
    littletfarms likes this.