Completely new and no clue
    Unregistered Guest

Exclamation Completely new and no clue

I need some advice. My 16 year old was living with his mother but due to some complications he has moved back in with me. The school district I am in is a horrible school. I have done a transfer to get him in another school but it can take up to 6 weeks to get him in and by then he will be too far behind. He is in the 9th grade. I have been thinking about homeschooling him but have no clue what to do. I am on a very low budget and can not really afford it but I will to get him an education. I just want him to finish this year with homeschooling and then for next year we will look at other options.

Do I need to enroll him in an online homeschooling program? Do I just start teaching him myself? Where do I get the information for the curriculum? If I do my own curriculum with him, when i do enroll him back in public school how do I prove what was taught and whether he passed or not?

Please help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Olive is offline Member

I don't know if you need to fill out an attendance form or not in your case. Normally you have a form filled out or else it looks as though the child has been truant. This may be a question for the school.

As for proving what was taught -- our state doesn't require we show a portfolio or such. They might give your child a placement test to see they are in the right grade, but that's all I can think of.

Anyone can sign up for T4L. It doesn't matter if you officially homeschool or not to sign up. You can see if they still offer the free trial. It's approx $20/mo. from there on.

There is no one curriculum. You will have to determine what you want to use. Some people mix and match products, some buy a boxed set. I don't see the benefit of that for such a short time. In fact, this is our third year of homeschool and I never bought a boxed set. I buy separate materials (ie. Math Mammoth for Math, Elemental History for history, use T4L for science and language arts...). Depending on what you want to do, what you buy, cost will vary greatly. I do not consider most of my materials to be very expensive. I have never taught high school age, though.