Differing Compuslory Ages
    melissamixon Guest

Default Differing Compuslory Ages

Hi all,
    I currently live in Lamar county, my 6 year old is in first grade public school. My husband works out of state and my children and I will join him in Wyoming soon. I have chosen to homeschool instead of enrolling dd in and out of public schools.

My question is this, dd has gone through kindergarten and is now of compulsory age and in first grade. We would be in Wyoming for close to a year, so I thought I may need to follow Wyoming homeschool law for this year, however, Wyoming law is "Attendance is required for children whose sevĀ*enth birthday falls on or before Sept. 15 and through their sixteenth birthday or completion of the 10th grade."

Technically she is of compulsory age in our permanent residence state of Mississippi, but not in our temporary residence state of Wyoming. Do I register her in Mississippi since it is our permanent residence? Any advice would be appreciated.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

First of all let me say that I am not an attorney. I'm only a homeschool mom. If it were my child I would enroll her in Mississippi. She is not old enough to have to worry about Wyoming. And you will no longer be there by the time she is old enough. Since you will be coming back to Mississippi, that is who I would want to be happy. If Wyoming does say anything, you are on an extended vacation and will be returning to Mississippi.

Good luck on your trip.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota