Getting started with homeschool

Default Getting started with homeschool

What do I need to do to get my daughter started homeschooling in MS? We have 2 addresses, one in Alabama and one in Miss. Alabama requires a cover school. We travel constantly, and I'd just rather do the easier one. Do I just go by the school board and tell them I am homeschooling her and fill out some paper work or is there something more I need to do?

Olive is offline Member

I don't know how you determine which address you can use for school. Do you spend equal time at both? I don't know if legally it matters.

As far as easier, it is easier to homeschool in Mississippi. You can view the law online: http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/mississippi.pdf

You need to fill out a form (it's like the size of an index card) which you can get from the attendance officer. The due date isn't til Sept. 15th for Miss. so you can wait til school is back in session to request it (sometime in August. You can call the school then). Sometimes there are other ways to obtain the cards like at a homeschooling seminar or co-op registration. No matter how you obtain it, you need to be sure to mail it in (or drop off in person) to the correct person for your location. Do not worry about the description of curriculum. You can say something as simple as, "curriculum suited for grade __."