homeschooling a child with Dylexia
    jjasgx4 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default homeschooling a child with Dylexia

We are thinking about moving back to poplarville and it scares me because I do not want my 2 boys going to public school there. I have one child that has some reading problems and is a little behind and another child that has dylexia. Is there any homeschool program that helps teach a child with learning disabilties? I will have them a tutor also but I am not sure what to do.I do not want him to fall behind any further. He goes to a special school here in Florida for children with learning disabilities. I need help!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Many children with dyslexia do quite well with time4learning. You might want to check out the special needs forum.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Carmon0715 is offline Junior Member Newbie

We live in Picayune and I am homeschooling for that very reason. We where in the Picayune District and where not able to meet his needs. He is 11 and struggles with reading which you know affected every subject. He ended up with anxiety bordering on panic attacks. I truely believe it was due to all the pressure he felt at school. He knew he was different and so did all the other kids. He is my little "Out of the box thinker". We are not sure if he is dyslexic or just has a language disorder. His anxiety would never allow us to test him properly. We are which to try Time4Learning. I showed it to him and he was excited. We had tested K5Learning and liked it but didn't have enough control over order of lessons but he loved the interactive software which is like the Time4Learning. Also tried K12.com and it bored him and me to death. It was a good program but almost all was from books and he does better with interaction. Depending on their age, you could check in the Dubard School at USM which is for children with Dyslexia. Lots of people go their from Picayune. But there is a age limit on the school but they have afterschool help which does not have age limit. They also offer programs that parents can attend to learn about teaching methods. I went through them and it helped me to understand my son more. Also, a fantastic book is "Right-Brain Childern Living in a Left-Brain World". It really helped me to understand how Caden sees things such as pictures in his brain. Taught how to have them that photos with brain to recall spelling words. It really worked. Also, has help with reading. Hope this has helped some. I will tell you this though. Now that I have started homeschooling, it is the hardest thing I have ever done. But, even if he didn't have learning problems, it would still be good for him. The schools are not able to play to the strengths of a child and that is what I do love about homeschooling. Oh, and I just remembered. There are 2 women that have home-school groups in our area. I have heard they are amazing. My son want go because he wants me to teach him, but it may be an option for you. Good luck. I was probably rambling but I and ADHD. loL

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

This is great information Carmon. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota