Homeschooling in Holmes County
    Unregistered Guest

Default Homeschooling in Holmes County

Hello! I would like to homeschool, but my husband is not interested. He is afraid our children will miss out on sports and socializing.... Are there any home school groups near Holmes county that get together and have sports teams? Or do you know a place I could find that out?

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Here is a link to a page on our forum that lists some of the local homeschool support groups in the state. Another good resource is your local children's librarian. They usually know who is homeschooling in the area.

Some schools will allow children to participate in sports or music programs. You could check with them. Also the local YMCA/YWCA.

Let us know if we can help you further.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Olive is offline Member

hello! I am in Holmes County, too!

There is a group in Holmes County but be sure to click on the neighboring counties. There might be one that is actually closer to you, depending on where they actually do their meetups. They are Christian groups. Support Groups « Mississippi Home Educators Association - MHEA Mississippi Home Educators Association – MHEA

We are new to the area and just recently joined a group so I don't know a lot about sports in this area. A lady from my church said even if I don't send my son to the private school in Lexington that he could probably play sports with them. Also I have heard of sports through Parks and Recreation. We have not yet enrolled him in anything. I say you do not need school to do sports. We are looking into martial arts (but we'd drive him further for that because the place we're interested in is outside of the area) which isn't a school sport, anyway.

We do not have a YMCA in the county as you probably know. There is a Boys & Girls club I found online but my son is too young for it (starts at age 6). How old is your child if you don't mind me asking?

Good luck!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks Olive for those links.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Acmid Guest

Red face Most of us start by

Most of us start by reading a lot to our cihrdlen. Reading a wide variety of books, stories, histories, science books, poems, etc. Keep it fun and enjoyable and the kids will quickly soak up a lot of knowledge. Expose them to a wide variety of experiences and situations and talk about what is going on who are the people you encounter and what are they doing, why are you doing things, what are the names of things around you, etc. The more you explain things, the more they'll start to understand. Take them on walks and let them explore nature even just looking at bugs and birds and the plants growing.Sing simple cihrdlen's songs. Help them learn the alphabet song. Count things around them. Point out letters and numbers on signs.Read a lot. If cihrdlen see grownups in their life reading, they'll see it as an important thing and want to do it, too.Do arts and crafts painting, playing with clay, coloring, stringing beads, etc. These are not only fun but will help build the muscle control needed for writing.Play games with them. Board games. Outside games. Let them learn to take turns and follow rules.And read to them a lot.Good luck.